45460some foodly thoughts

  • Jeffrey Heilveil
    May 27, 2004
      Afternoon all!
      Taking a break from dissertation writing to drop a quick and
      UNREFINED line about the food I'll be making for this weekend
      (Middle Kingdom A&S and Crown Tourney). I haven't done any
      interpreting, since I cook by taste and will be spicing as I
      go along, but here's the general plan:

      Below are my ROUGH AND READY translations of the German
      recipes (this is really just personal use stuff, and I don't
      tend to clean up the English for myself). For
      Kuchenmeysterey, I have the luxury of working from a
      facsimile. For the other two, I only have the transcriptions
      from Thomas Gloning's website.

      Cu respectivo,
      Bogdan

      ps. the German words "Stoss" and "mues" were left as is
      throughout. "Stoss" is literally "thrust" (also used in
      fechtbucher) but is such an aurally fitting term for using a
      mortar and pestil that I prefer it. "Mues" is a term for
      dishes like applesauce (apfelmues) which doesn't have (to me)
      a good cognate or even analogy in English. Other than that,
      I'm still fighting with "melb" and "rur."
      ---
      Lunch for the weekend of May 30 and 31

      FISH SAUSAGES
      From Kuchenmeysterey (1486)
      If you want to make sausages of fish, so scale them and chop
      them small. Stoss them in a mortar, do spice, salt thereto.
      Fill the intestines and boil them like fish with wine. Pour a
      yellow peppersauce over it. (lit. make a yellow peppersauce over)

      spices for the sausages:
      From Ein buch von guter speise (~1350) we see "pastetten von
      vischen" recommending ginger, parsley, sage, cinnamon, and
      saffron. The stuffed pike (“gefuellte heckende”) recipe calls
      for sage, pepper, cumin (there could be some discussion as to
      whether this should be caraway as Alia Atlas translates it or
      cumin), and saffron. Other recipes also pair fish and
      parsley. Therefore, I have chosen to do these sausages with
      parsley, sage, ginger (filling the ginger/pepper role), and
      saffron.

      The yellow peppersauce recipe is from _Das Kochbuch des Sabina
      Welser_ (1553), as it was the only such recipe I could find.
      It’s recipe # 11. (haven’t looked it up yet, just found it)

      MEAT PASTIES
      From _Ein alemannisches buechlein von guter speise_ (15th Cent)
      1C, last line: one also makes (from) veal. Saltpork and
      parsley well chopped in it. From 1A, we find out: “Make a
      large dough and break it into pieces.” After the filling is
      wrapped, we are instructed to brush it with egg and bake in an
      oven.

      BLACKBERRY MOOSE (sorta moose. More like mues)
      From Kuchenmeysterey (1486)
      Stoss blackberries in a mortar. Do whitebread and drive
      through a sieve. Take "melb" and milk that are well twisted.
      Mix together in a pan. "Rur" it well over a fire and don’t
      oversalt it. It becomes a brown mues. Put ginger in it. Add
      some fat if it is sticking (VERY loose translation), if it is
      too thick, add milk.
      "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"
      - Albert Einstein