45404Re: Linen

  • faena0216
    May 24, 2004
      Miriel wrote:
      > Can dye on linen be 'set'? I know leather dyes are set with
      shene,
      > butI was wondering about dyes for fabrics...

      Dye is 'set' when the dyeing process is done. Linen is 'mordanted'
      with alum and tannin for natural dyes. This is done usually before
      the dye in introduced.

      With modern chemical dyes, the cloth is treated with (usually but not
      always) washing soda before dyeing, and washing soda may also be
      called for in the dye activation in the dyepot. Here, too, this is
      done before and during the dye process.

      Nancy
    • Show all 46 messages in this topic