39034Re: [Authentic_SCA] publication (was Re: Robin Netherton)

  • Ariane H
    Dec 1, 2003
      marccarlson20@... wrote:

      >Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
      >for tenure....
      >
      >M/D

      But on the other hand (forgive me if someone else has already said
      this), just because something has been published does not mean it should
      be taken as the ultimate authority, either. My English seminar this
      semester, while ostensibly about Elizabethan and Jacobean drama, also
      requires us to read dozens of scholarly publications and figure out how
      useful they are for helping us to analyze the play texts, understand
      their historical background, etc. (Most of it is in literary theory,
      but there's a lot of "new historicist" work that involves in-depth
      research into things like period trade and commerce, medicine and
      humoral theory, clothing, gender roles, etc.) Just as with any field of
      research, some of this stuff is great, and some of it is seriously
      flawed. In fact, the prof said of one unhelpful article we discussed
      today, "This ought to show you how easy it can be to get published!" It
      wasn't a totally derogatory statement - it would be virtually impossible
      to avoid publication of all imperfect or incomplete work - but a
      cautionary one. And even flawed or lacking work usually provokes
      discussion and debate and further research, which is always a good thing.

      In this same class today I had an amusing "You know you've been in the
      SCA too long when..." moment (well, moments). We were reading John
      Webster's "The White Devil" (1612) and the heroine/villainess of the
      play is "Vittoria Corombona the famous Venetian Curtizan." I never knew
      of the existence of this other Vittoria (based on the notorious Umbrian
      noblewoman Vittoria Accorambini of Gubbio, d. 1585) until last week, but
      that aside, it was very weird to be sitting in this discussion for two
      hours, hearing the name "Vittoria" every other minute, and making myself
      *not* respond to it. ;)

      Ariane
      (V. knows no literary theory after Aristotle)
      "...Vittoria's performances deconstruct traditional gendered antitheses
      and expose them as contingent on subjective construction.....Similarly,
      Vittoria's accomplished performance of masculinity exposes those
      cultural paradigms that underlie the rhetorical posturing of the men in
      this play."
      --C. Luckyj, "Gender, Rhetoric, and Performance in 'The White Devil'"
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic