37927Re: closings for necklaces

  • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
    Oct 5, 2003
      I've heard that necklaces could end in two loops which were tied
      together with ribbon. It's more secure than a hook and eye (I lost a
      really nice garnet hook and eye necklace when it fell off on the way
      to an open air court). Certainly a number of the examples in the book
      below end in two metal loops. (I can't recall the book discussing
      fastenings, but then I was mostly looking at the pictures, not reading
      all the text).

      Lastly a lovely reference: (lovely medeival stuff, including a chapter
      on rosaries, unless you're a 12th century englishwoman, like me)
      Dubin, Lois Sherr. 1987 "The history of beads : from 30,000 B.C. to
      the present " H.N. Abrams (New York)

      Teffania

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Perdomo Machin
      <marianne@h...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      >
      > I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what
      would
      > be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
      > difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
      > almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic