37256Re: [Authentic_SCA] period?

  • Marianne Perdomo Machin
    Sep 1, 2003

      > What period would this pattern work for, if any?
      > http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?
      > s.item.3552=x&TI='3552'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30855040

      I think the pattern would be different but the general look reminds me
      of early 16th century "French gowns". These were used in Spain around
      1520 or so, though I'm sure other places had something similar. They
      have the low-cut square neckline and the wide "angel" sleeves, but (I
      believe) don't have the "armband" decoration.
      The problem is that the skirt is usually gathered onto the bodice part
      of the gown, so I think the look would be different in that area.
      Still, it's another alternative to consider.
      If you're interested try to check out Ruth M. Anderson's "Hispanic
      Costume 1480-1530".

      All the best!

      Marianne
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic