31164Re: Putting up Very Long Hair

  • Karen
    Apr 2, 2003
      Actually, when I put my hair up in fancier styles (granted, it's no
      longer "very long," just a bit longer than "short"), I use quilting
      thread and a blunt needle (the kind designed for canvaswork,
      generally).

      I use a running stitch to attach braids to the hair close to my scalp,
      or to manage the folded-up braids (the 14th century chin-length style
      where the braids start near the temples).

      I also use the same needle and thread to attach stud-style medievallish
      buttons or other ornaments onto my braids as well.

      I generally also make sure to use only colors that will stand out from
      my normal hair color, so that at the end of the day, I can be sure that
      I am only snipping the threads and not my hair (though I generally use
      the small thread-cutters that wouldn't go through much hair anyway).

      I don't often put my hair up in that sort of fancy array, though.
      Usually, I just do a working woman's turban/wrap style -- heck, I dress
      in working women's clothing anyway (I'm not yet the sort of Grand Old
      Peer that has a loyal retinue that will do all my fetching and carrying
      for me -- but I am turning 29 years old this June! -- so I generally
      dress in the sort of costume that allows me to do the work that I plan
      to do that day, rather than going all grand and fancy-dress which will
      only get mucked up at the end of the day) ;)

      For my turban/wrap style, I part my hair down the middle (putting each
      section over the nearest shoulder), and put a long white linen cloth (a
      little more than twice the length of my hair, and maybe around 18" wide
      or so) centered at the top of my head, kind of like the way one starts
      arranging a headrail. Then, I start wrapping the cloth around my hair
      ("back to front" is the best way I can describe the direction that the
      twists go), and once the wrapping is done, I take the twisty bits and
      tie them under themselves. And hey presto -- no more bad hair day.
      It's all covered up, no pins, no sewing, and I can fix it quickly if I
      need to. It keeps my hair out of the way on a hot day, and keeps the
      icky bugs out too (works even better if you braid your hair after it's
      parted and before it's wrapped in the linen). Works well for 15th
      century dress and earlier; someone showed me a picture of an ancient
      Roman housewife in the same sort of hairdo. :)

      Karen