29538Re: Wool-buying advice

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Feb 28 1:49 PM
      > As for fulling, I don't think it's in the budget. According to "Daily
      > Life in Chaucer's England" fulling involves lots of
      hand-kneading in
      > cold water, followed by stretching it on a special frame to hold
      down
      > shrinkage. The result can also be achieved by throwing the
      fabric in
      > the wash with a pair of old sneakers, but the shrinkage is
      about 60%.
      > I don't have that kind of time or money.

      I have NEVER had wool shrink that much in the wash. The most
      I have ever experienced is around 20% shrinkage and that was
      the worst by far.

      Take wool. Throw in washer on hottest setting. Pour in a capful
      of baby shampoo. Wash. Rinse on cold setting if you can
      control it. Throw damp wool in dryer on hot.

      You're done! An hour of your time and $1.50 in the local
      laundromat! =)

      Kass
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic