29536Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Wool-buying advice

  • Marian Llynn Hilliard
    Feb 28, 2003
      On 2/28/03 8:47 PM, andrea@... wrote:

      >> Wool suiting probably looks too modern. It's appropriate for
      >> some uses and not others. If you're not sure, don't buy it.
      >>
      > This is a good point. I've been told by "those in the know" that
      > worsted is period for Elizabethan and other late period garments.

      Too late for me, though. =) I'm looking at the late 13th century.

      >> The wool most like medieval wool is called "flannel" by modern
      >> fabric stores.
      >
      > The problem with most modern wool flannels that I've seen is that
      > they're too thick for things like gowns or tunics. Many are
      > heavyweight or coat weight. The flannel would be perfect if you can
      > find light weight.
      >>

      >> Kass
      >
      > Giovanna

      I hadn't thought of flannel--largely because I associate it with warm
      winter clothing. I'll look for lightweight flannel at the local store;
      I definately did not find it online just now. Although having just
      done an internet search I now wonder what the connection is between
      flannel and castor oil.

      On second thought, no I don't. If you know, don't tell me. =)

      As for fulling, I don't think it's in the budget. According to "Daily
      Life in Chaucer's England" fulling involves lots of hand-kneading in
      cold water, followed by stretching it on a special frame to hold down
      shrinkage. The result can also be achieved by throwing the fabric in
      the wash with a pair of old sneakers, but the shrinkage is about 60%.
      I don't have that kind of time or money.

      Margaret de Greyve
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic