29535Re: Wool-buying advice

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Feb 28, 2003
      > How much extra wool should one buy to allow for shrinkage in
      pre washing?
      > That is assuming one is going to follow the recommendation
      of the oh so
      > great and wonderful Kass by washing it in hot water and then
      throwing it in
      > the dryer prior to cutting :)

      You're going to hate me for this, Ellizabeth, but the answer is "it
      depends". I have bought wool flannel of the exact same weight
      from the same store on the same day, wash one and lost one
      yard for every five and the other only shrunk three inches in
      length.

      I shop at an end-of-bolt place supplied by the fashion industry,
      so when I find a period-appropriate weave and colour wool, I buy
      all of it. So I tend not to buy wool per project, but rather have a
      stock always at hand (and, of course, I never have the colour or
      weight I need when I need it!).

      If I were you, I would buy at least a yard more than I need. And if
      you need partial yards, I'd round up to the next yard and add one
      more. For example, if you needed 3 1/2 yards for your item, I'd
      buy five yards. If it doesn't shrink at all, you'll have 1 1/2 with
      which to make something else.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Kass
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic