29530Re: Wool-buying advice

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Feb 28, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marian Llynn Hilliard
      <marianlh@c...> wrote:

      > Thank you! I'm glad now that I went ahead and asked, instead
      of taking
      > the plunge and buying that wool jersey I was eyeing. What
      about wool
      > crepe? Or challis?

      I would avoid wool crepe, Margaret. It was available as early as
      the 15th century, but it wasn't a popular fabric. It also shrinks like
      the dickens when you wash it (and you *should* wash all your
      wool in hot water and dry it in the dryer before you make anything
      out of it).

      I don't know about challis. I don't know what kind of weave that
      is. But not knowing probably means it wasn't used in any period
      I reenact...

      Wool flannel. Trust me. You'll not be sorry.

      Kass
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic