26128Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • Ii Saburou
    Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, GR Auklandus wrote:

      > > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
      > >
      > > -Ii
      > Again, no.
      >
      > In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
      > in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
      > mentioned.

      Okay, actually looked it up somewhere (www.dictionary.com, to be precise):

      hosen

      \Ho"sen\, n. pl. See Hose. [Archaic]
      Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

      Hose \Hose\ (h[=o]z), n.; pl. Hose, formerly Hosen (h[=o]"z'n). [AS. hose;
      akin to D. hoos, G. hose breeches, OHG. hosa, Icel. hosa stocking, gather,
      Dan. hose stocking; cf. Russ. koshulia a fur jacket.] 1. Close-fitting
      trousers or breeches, as formerly worn, reaching to the knee.

      These men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and
      their other garments. --Dan. iii. 21.

      His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide For his shrunk shank.
      --Shak.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic