26126Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • GR Auklandus
    Nov 1 9:25 AM
      --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sarah Michele Ford wrote:
      >
      > > Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
      > > actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
      > > pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
      > > there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
      > > pair of hose.
      >
      > But you do say 'a pant leg', right? So there IS a singular, just not
      > often used.
      Nope. You say "pants leg."

      > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
      >
      > -Ii
      Again, no.

      In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
      in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
      mentioned.

      Gaius
      Who doesn't know why he remembers this...

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic