24508Irish dress

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Sep 2, 2002
      Most humble greetings:
          This person was Fuiltigherne who is now known as simply Fuil.  Having
      been absent for many years I have returned from Central Asia where I
      traveled between in Jade Gate and the Iron Gate during the auspicious reigns
      of the emperors of T'ang in the 7th and 8th centuries of your calendar.
          Ee is correct -- many are said to be silk, but are blends or sometimes
      not even that.  They will scorch (terribly!) if your iron is too hot.  They
      also bleed.  Best to know your supplier.  Good ones will provide small
      samples for modest prices and then you can test them.  Does anyone know a
      simple test for silk?
        Someone (my apologies, I do not remember your name) asked about the
      "Afghan dress," similar to the pattern from Folkwear.  Excavations from
      Bactria show garments similar to a modestly cut shalwar kameez has been
      around since BCE.  I have looked through a number of books on Afghanistan
      and depictions of women are scarcer than hen's teeth.  However I can't find
      anything that resembles the "Afghan dress" earlier than the 19th century.
      There is one in Tilke's book and I am guessing that the Folkwear pattern is
      partly based on this.  Based on changes in costume in Central Asia that
      occur during the colonial period I believe the dress shows the affects of
      western influence. Some of this is shown in the Academy of Science's _Kostum
      narodov Sredneie Azii_ (1979).   A modern version (1974) version in Birthe
      Frederiksen's book shows even more western influence, with puffy sleeves.
      This is not unusual. It is also possible that the dress was influenced by
      Indian dress, but again this would also be later.
          Someone else (a thousand apologies) asked about the "Irish dress" with
      the front lacing, etc. The "Irish dress" surfaced in Meridies about 15-20
      years ago and became very popular.  I don't know where it came from, but
      those of us who tried to find it in a drawing, archeological find, etc.
      could not.  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has found anything
      even remotely resembling it.  I even sat in on a class once where the
      instructor attributed it to me.  It wasn't me!
          Since my post is already overly long, may I enquire if there is anyone
      else on this list who does, or is interested in western China and Central
      Asia?

      Fuil