193Re: [Authentic_SCA] Vocal music and Languages

  • Kass McGann
    Mar 6, 2001
      > Oh, that's another good point. The DRAMA of the original language. Like
      > Beowulf in Old English as opposed to modern English.

      I have a point to make though it has nothing to do with music. About a year
      ago, I judged an A&S competition that my friend was running. Enter in it
      was a "10th century Irish poem" and she asked if I could judge it. I took
      one look at it and said, "No. I can't. I would give it a terrible score
      and I don't think you want that." "Why?" she asked. "Because it's in
      modern English."

      I do not believe that you can write a poem in the style of the 10th century
      Irish in modern English. It simply doesn't work. You can't write a
      Shakespearean sonnet in French because the iambic pentameter gets screwed
      up. You can't write a Japanese tanka in English because you can't execute a
      makura kotoba. And you can't write "in the style of 10th century Ireland"
      in English either. You can't. It's like painting the Mona Lisa with poster
      paint.

      Her Laurel (who was sitting there too) was furious with me, but that is the
      beginning of another story...

      Kass
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic