161Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)

  • stephen higa
    Mar 1 10:16 AM
      > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
      > "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
      > tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
      > experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
      > academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
      > *should* it be promoted?

      Well, not only is it easier and cheaper (as Kass and Brighid excellently
      pointed out), but sometimes it's just more *interesting* and *fun* (sorry,
      the little stars are there for pleasure ;)). With period music--what I'm
      most puritanical about--all I do is ONLY perform period stuff (okay,
      sometimes complain that certain popular local songs don't even sound
      remotely medieval, but that's another story).

      Most of the time, what Vittoria and I do will be the only period music at an
      event...and people seem to appreciate it. I mean, who wants to hear another
      modern folk song or filk, however funny it may be? Listening to real live
      medieval music--to me--is simply more interesting. I think most people in
      the SCA secretly appreciate efforts at authenticity even if they don't wish
      to do it themselves...so when other people take the extra time to research
      the medieval songs, vocal styles, instrumental techniques, historical
      pronunciatioin, &c. they appreciate it far more than 70's-style rock ballads
      in praise of one's kingdom.

      Or maybe it's just wishful thinking?

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers