157Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)

  • Kass McGann
    Mar 1, 2001
      > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk
      promote
      > "doing it the authentic way"?

      Giles, I agree with Brighid that if you show people it's easier and cheaper
      to do it authentically, that it tends to work. I mean, in our Kingdom
      (East) when Mistress Thorkatla showed people how to make Greenland gowns out
      of 4 yards of fabric rather than 12, they nearly sainted her! =) Whenever
      I teach newbie classes to college kids, I preach "period is cheap and easy"
      alot.

      From the feedback I've received about my Beginners' Pages
      (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners), I think that was the best
      thing I could do for people. For those of you who haven't seen them, it's a
      serious of pages for absolute beginners and it shows them how to make
      garments based on extant examples. So far, everyone's been raving about "I
      never knew it would be this easy!"

      But the biggest impact I think I've had came quite by accident. Three of my
      best friends in the SCA have recently told me that they ripped out a seam or
      undid some embroidery entirely because they felt like I was sitting on their
      shoulder, wearing a halo and wings, shaking my finger and saying, "Nuh uh
      uh... That's not how They would have done it..."

      I don't know how they come by this guilt. None of them are Catholic! ;)

      Kass
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic