156Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)

  • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot
    Mar 1, 2001

      But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
      "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
      tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
      experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
      academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
      *should* it be promoted?

      Personally I think part of it is the jump-on-the-bandwagon thing. If more people show how much fun it is, or you can prove to someone it's _cheaper_ or _easier_ to do it period (those are the best catch phrases), not off-the-bat saying it's _authentic_. Those that aren't authenticity buffs will only buy it if you can give it to them in their perspective. If you tell a college kid in the SCA they can do it cheaper, or a working person that they can do it faster and easier, and prove how, then they will do it that way and be very happy if you showed them how.

      Brighid
      All for the cheaper solutions for the best craftsmanship.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic