14008Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Sleeves

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Nov 2, 2001
      At 01:10 PM 11/2/2001 -0800, you wrote:
      >Brynn wrote:
      > >AH Roger van der Weyden's work. It's the same sleeve construction
      > >was the Braque Family Triptych, Right Panel, Mary Magdalene.
      > >And yes that sleeve is just pinned on. The nice thing about the
      > >pictue that's posted here is you can see the construction of the back
      > >of the dress. You are looking at a typical 15th century kirtle with
      > >the short sleeve, a long sleeve under dress and the pinned on over
      > >sleeve.
      >Fifteenth century?? Aw, shucks :-( Did they have anything like it about a
      >hundred years later? That was decent to appear in public in? (It seems
      >that the 16th-c. kirtle is little more than underwear.)

      Nope, kirtles were worn without a gown over them in informal
      situations. You wouldn't show up to court in just a kirtle but if you're
      in the country on your estate or around the house.... Hey, I wear kirtles
      sans gowns (frequently sans sleeves as well) all Pennsic. It appears to be
      much more common among the Italians though.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic