13115Re: hamburgers - source maybe

  • Christina_Lemke@hotmail.com
    Oct 2, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Ariane Helou <ahelou@u...> wrote:
      > At 02:47 PM 10/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
      > >How about a banana split as dessert?
      > >"They" had ice cream, fruit, cream, chopped nuts .... and they had
      > >BANANAS:
      > >http://www.museum-london.org.uk/MOLsite/forum/lbc4.html
      > >(This is not a joke, the "Tudor banana" was on show at the MoL)
      >
      > They had ice cream? Was it, like, with cream, or just fruit ice
      (like a
      > sorbet)? When did it first appear?
      > This is pure conjecture, but I thought that sorbet/granita/fruit
      ice,
      > whatever you call it, showed up around the end of the 16th c, but
      cream- or
      > custard-based ice creams weren't eaten until the 17th or 18th. But
      I'm
      > just guessing. Anyone got a source for this? Ice cream is one of
      my
      > favorite things in the world, and I would jump at the chance to
      bring some
      > to an event! Yum :-)
      >
      > Vittoria
      > who should really not be thinking about ice cream before breakfast

      Sorbets were already known in Roman times, there is documentation
      that Nero was fond of them and had runner bring snow from the
      mountains that was then mixed with honey.

      Marco Polo allegedly brought back information about sorbet making
      from his travels.

      Sorbets were already popular in Italy in the 16th century and when
      Caterina de' Medici went to France, she took her favourite cooks with
      her and so the fashion for frozen desserts reached France.

      Bernardo Buontalenti is said to have initiated the forerunner of
      modern ice cream in the 16th century, IIRC this was a mixture of
      crushed ice and zabaglione that was pressed into pretty shapes,
      but "milk ice" seems to have been around before then, I think it also
      existed in China.

      The method of reaching lower temperatures by adding saltpetre to ice
      meant that ice cream could be made much faster and easier (the
      saltpetre is added to the ice used to cool down the sorbet/ice cream,
      NOT to the ice cream itself).

      There are quite a few pages about the history of ice cream on the
      web; I can't find the one I was thinking of, and I didn't bookmark it.

      If you search for the names above on the web you'll probably come up
      with something more detailed.

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • Show all 318 messages in this topic