13111Re: [Authentic_SCA] documentation for A&S?

  • William Harrington
    Oct 1, 2001

      "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

      At 12:30 PM 9/29/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      This question is for people who do research on cultures in whic they
      don't speak the language.  Is it normally acceptable to use published
      English translations of primary sources written in another langauge?

      I do this, but I don't like to.  I prefer to get a dictionary and do a translation of the materials myself.

      Smiles,
      Despina

      I admire you for doing this and I still want a Tibetan English dictionary so that
      I could do the same, but (very big but) wouldn't this just create a literal translation that likely lacks the subtlety of meaning that familiarity with the language brings?  I mean, if you had to translate English, you would prabably run into a lot of trouble trying to translate the meaning of idioms such as "hole in one" or "bad apple" or.... well, you get the idea.  I would think that a translation or two a long side the original language would be a necessity for doing this kind of primary research unless you are familiar enough with the language that you dont need a dictionary.

      Dorje

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic