12047Re: Eyelets

  • ivinian@hotmail.com
    Sep 3, 2001
      I found small, 1/2" or 3/8" brass rings at Calico Corner this past
      weekend. They're not quite small enough, and they're a bit too thin
      compared to things I've seen, but they come pretty close. I've done
      the doublet sleeves so far and DB is very happy with the look.

      I bought 60 of them at like 5 cents each. As I checked out, I asked
      the cashier, "So, officially-like, what ARE these rings for?" She
      told me a lot of stuff about poufy valances and things.

      Aoda

      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sunny Medlock" <sunnyday78723@y...> wrote:
      > ... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
      > > >been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they
      come
      > big
      > > >or sturdy enough.
      > > >
      > > >Elisabetta
      > >
      > > Off the top of my head - I don't know. However, try a hardware
      > store for washers or I seem to remember something like them for
      > drapery stuff. Personally, I've never used the rings and found
      that
      > whipstiched eyelets on their own are plenty strong enough, even on
      > corset.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Gwendoline
      >
      > Since I haven't done much handsewing yet, I still don't trust the
      > strength. Logic tells me that if tight corsets could be handsewn
      and
      > sturdy at the same time, then I can do it, but I've been
      brainwashed
      > by my sewing machine. :)
      >
      > As far as drapery rings, I have only seen metal ones twice ever and
      > never small enough for this. I have thought about washers, but
      > haven't seen any that would work yet. I still have to look
      harder.
      > I have though about making my own, or bartering with a friend that
      > makes chainmaile for some soldered rings of that sort... Still
      > working on that one.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      >
      > Elisabetta
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic