11070Re: Questions for costumers

  • ivinian@hotmail.com
    Jul 31, 2001
      Artwork does show linens to be rather white for nobles. Snow white,
      to my (admittedly not very acute anymore) eyes. The paintings of
      servants and other sorts, however, does seem to veer more toward
      ivory, but that might be lighting. I've looked at paintings myself to
      get a feel for color, and that's about all I can say. Guesses
      regarding shades of white seem to consolidate around this:

      It's POSSIBLE to get linens pure white with period laundering (sun
      bleaching and chemical preparations), but it requires time and
      effort. A regular joe's family probably doesn't have either. A noble
      can afford to pay somebody to make his whites white and his brights
      bright, so his linens are pure white. But white does appear to have
      been the general sought-after goal.

      Aoda

      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Stephan Barratt <cannoneer@s...> wrote:
      > I have a couple of questions for the garb experts on the list.
      > First- How white is white? I seem to get varying research on
      this. Some
      > appears to say what we would call snow white is possible with
      period
      > bleaches, some says no, only a light ivory would be possible, with
      most
      > fabric being closer to natural unbleached, undyed linen. Add to
      this
      > research which indicates that ruffs and collars were starched with
      a yellow
      > starch, even though the art work shows white. to put this in
      context, I'm
      > looking at 1450-1600, middle class, yeoman, captain of artillery-
      NOT nobility.

      > Second- What do you know of an Elizabethan riding garment called a
      > safeguard? I've seen references to a pant like garment that is so
      wide in
      > each leg as to be nearly indistinguishable from a skirt. Others
      seem to
      > think is is almost a bag like thing that goes over a skirt. Any
      clues?

      > Thanks!!
      >
      > Roderic Hawkyns
      > Master Gunner