10910Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 540

  • Matthew Mitchell
    Jul 28, 2001
      I am so glad that queen had see that your work was
      As for the rude comments/ One sometimes I wonder if
      there is not a little bit of politics involved in such
      Two that many who think they know something no little.
      It would be a long time before I enter any S/A because
      I have a persona that is tend to be one of the ones
      that feel that they no something about and most don't.
      We have chosen Rom.Let me tell that there are not
      large amounts of books of Rom's let alone a book that
      would say Rom at this time in this country wore this
      and it was that way. Nope .
      But We do what we love.
      --- Renaissance Girls <rennaisancegirls@...>
      > Greetings All!
      > I have been reading all of the posts with regard to
      > judging, and I thought I would throw in my
      > experience
      > in entering an A&S competition, which I have heard
      > is
      > not unique.
      > I have always had a deep interest in the very early
      > 16th century, and before I even knew the SCA
      > existed,
      > I had done TONS of research, and began to make my
      > own
      > authentic gown. Now, when I say authentic, I mean I
      > used period dyes to dye my own fabric, hand sewed
      > everything, it was covered with hand beading, I
      > mean,
      > I am not exaggerating when I tell you that this took
      > me almost a year to do.
      > Then, I found the SCA!!!!!! My first event was a
      > very
      > large A&S competition, and I proudly entered my
      > dress.
      > Now, I did not think I would win, rather I just
      > wanted to share the experience of showing my year of
      > work!
      > I was amidst a sea of polyester gowns with bought
      > trim, but I could tell that everyone put a lot of
      > time
      > into these (giving everyone the benefit of the
      > doubt),
      > and I gushed my praise on everyone.
      > WELL... after the judging I read my score sheets
      > with
      > the comments. On a score of 1-5, I had gotten all
      > 1s
      > and 2s, AND the comments were the most rude,
      > insulting, and just plain hurtful and incorrect.
      > Some
      > of the comments they were making were absolutely
      > untrue, as my tons of research had shown, and anyone
      > who has even a slight knowledge of costuming would
      > know! I mean, one of the dyes I had used was for a
      > rusty-brown color. They even said that the color
      > looked more like a fuscia or a rose... now, take my
      > word for it... there is not even a hint of pink in
      > the
      > rust color!
      > I was absolutely devestated! Not that I hadn't won,
      > but because of the rude and just plain mean things
      > they had said, along with the WRONG information. I
      > am
      > an authenticity maven, so this was such a blow that
      > didn't know what to do! I took it with a smile,
      > looking at my hours of work of blackwork sitting
      > next
      > to pink and light blue machine made, polyester trim
      > with the high marks, and the only one who knew I was
      > upset was my partner!
      > WELL, after the contest, right after the judging,
      > the
      > Queen made her choices for the Golden Lyre, and
      > guess
      > who won one! That's right, me! The Queen told me
      > that she was so impressed by the work and
      > authenticity
> [...]

      Matthew Mitchell | [to Joey, dressed as a cowboy]:
      Assignment: Macintosh | "Now, go see Miss Kitty and
      The Science-Fiction | she'll fix you up with a nice
      Mac User Group | hooker!"
      cloister@...| -- Chandler Bing ("Friends")

      Do You Yahoo!?