10900Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 540

  • Renaissance Girls
    Jul 27, 2001
      Greetings All!
      I have been reading all of the posts with regard to
      judging, and I thought I would throw in my experience
      in entering an A&S competition, which I have heard is
      not unique.

      I have always had a deep interest in the very early
      16th century, and before I even knew the SCA existed,
      I had done TONS of research, and began to make my own
      authentic gown. Now, when I say authentic, I mean I
      used period dyes to dye my own fabric, hand sewed
      everything, it was covered with hand beading, I mean,
      I am not exaggerating when I tell you that this took
      me almost a year to do.

      Then, I found the SCA!!!!!! My first event was a very
      large A&S competition, and I proudly entered my dress.
      Now, I did not think I would win, rather I just
      wanted to share the experience of showing my year of
      work!

      I was amidst a sea of polyester gowns with bought
      trim, but I could tell that everyone put a lot of time
      into these (giving everyone the benefit of the doubt),
      and I gushed my praise on everyone.

      WELL... after the judging I read my score sheets with
      the comments. On a score of 1-5, I had gotten all 1s
      and 2s, AND the comments were the most rude,
      insulting, and just plain hurtful and incorrect. Some
      of the comments they were making were absolutely
      untrue, as my tons of research had shown, and anyone
      who has even a slight knowledge of costuming would
      know! I mean, one of the dyes I had used was for a
      rusty-brown color. They even said that the color
      looked more like a fuscia or a rose... now, take my
      word for it... there is not even a hint of pink in the
      rust color!

      I was absolutely devestated! Not that I hadn't won,
      but because of the rude and just plain mean things
      they had said, along with the WRONG information. I am
      an authenticity maven, so this was such a blow that I
      didn't know what to do! I took it with a smile,
      looking at my hours of work of blackwork sitting next
      to pink and light blue machine made, polyester trim
      with the high marks, and the only one who knew I was
      upset was my partner!

      WELL, after the contest, right after the judging, the
      Queen made her choices for the Golden Lyre, and guess
      who won one! That's right, me! The Queen told me
      that she was so impressed by the work and authenticity
      (she was Elizabethan, so she knew the work), that she
      invited me to sit at the Royal table for our feast.
      So, this was proof to me that it was at least halfway
      decent.
      I was still so devestated with the rude comments and
      hurtful comments, that I cried half the way home. My
      partner pulled the car over and threw them out.
      I'm not sure why the comments were so rude and
      hurtful, but it seemed as though all the judges got
      together and said "let's really give it to this one!".

      Any ideas?

      =====
      A proud member of the...
      Shire of Glenn Linn