Puncetto reprise

  • Pat T
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
    I know some of you are getting a duplicate of all of this, but I have only been sharing this with the LLI class and I wanted to include the guild members.

    I have been getting excited about Puncetto Valsesiano since we found an amazing video last August:

    At that time Deana found a copy of an old pamphlet at the Smithsonian and received a copy which I have scanned and attached to this email.

    This lace comes from Piedmont region of Italy (another nice webpage http://marisa-connuestrasmanos.blogspot.com/2009/04/puncetto-valsesiano.html)

    In my searches another website pointed out this short video which shows a woman making this lace. I love the example she picks up and this appears to be the finest thread of the main Puncetto videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8XmBqL7JTE

    Recently there has been activity the web, probably resulting from Avital Pinnick’s tutorials. Number eight was announced February 3, 2011.

    Avital’s website can be found at http://apinnick.wordpress.com/

    Her complete (I hope) set of Puncetto tutorials are as follows:

    When the last video ran it gave links to some of the videos posted by a man from Germany. The translations are via Yahoo Babel Fish, except for “anschlingen” which I used Google to find. The videos are in German and he does go out of frame a lot. Still excellent material.

    Anleitung für Puncetto Anfang

    Guidance for Puncetto beginning

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnF5v6WBCvM

    Anleitung 2 Puncetto Kästchenreihe

    Guidance 2 Puncetto small box row

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhOC8IcgWo

    Anleitung 3 Puncetto Kästchenreihe und neuen Faden anschlingen.

    Guidance 3 Puncetto small box row and new thread anschlingen

        Anschlingen appears to mean “to attach”

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3OwPwuO-vQ

    Anleitung 4 Puncetto Spinne unterer Teil

    Guidance 4 Puncetto spider lower part

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPragzfL_g

    Anleitung 5 Puncetto Spinne oberer Teil

    Guidance 5 Puncetto spider top

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHLELevuow

    Apparently the book to get in the past was
    Puncetto Valsesiano – Manuale de Base by Anna Axerio but I have only found one source (http://www.tombolodisegni.it/LIBRI%20PUNCETTO.htm).

    The NeedlelaceTalk forum introduced me to A scuola di Puncetto Valsesiano by Carla Rossetti, Paola Scarrone, and Angela Stefanutto . I believe it was in a comment to one of the videos that claimed that there were only four instructional books on Puncetto Valsesiano and they were all out of print but that a replacement (A scuola di Puncetto Valsesiano) would be one in 2009. It can be purchased from
    www.italian-needlecrafts.com as well as the above shop).

    So these are my Puncetto Valsesiano notes and I will now quite searching and keep trying to work on it. So far my tension is not keeping me happy but it is coming.

    So having do all this research I find that there is so much more to find in the way of in needle laces made without a support, “knotted freehand needlelaces”. Apparently there are several.

    I do not have time to continue researching but at the very end I found something amazing. It is Turkish from a “vakifli village”. This might be what some call Oya, but the “shear” beauty just floored me this evening, not to mention the size of these pieces. If anyone can figure out the technique please let me know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWvE1MmsKY

    Sorry about the size of this email, but I think you can see I have very excited about this type of lace.

    TTFN
    Pat T.
  • Karisse Moore
    Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2011
      Thanks so much for the info Pat, I had a great afternoon watching the videos and looking at the information you have gathered.

      I think the other technique that you saw was Armenian lace. We have two books about it in the library. Ask Michelle if she could send them with Karen for you to look at. It is a very simalar lace. They are both done with needle and thread in the hand or "in the air".

      Enjoy lace.
      Karisse
    • Pat T
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2011
        Thank you, I too have been enjoying this.

        I wonder since the other technique appears to be from Turkey if it might not be at type of Oya, which I am also unfamiliar.

        Hope to see you sometime.
        Pat T

        Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2011
          I don't know what Oyo is so I can't comment on it. I think this is great to look into all the different ways to knot a thread.

          Karisse