The Kitchen Sync

  • mikerrtx
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2012
      There are several new services in town... maybe you heard about the
      newest one, Google Drive. We'll install it and see what it does.

      Another favorite of mine, Evernote, has added some more features, so of
      which sound very helpful.

      And... ifttt connects disparate services! Huh? We'll see what it does
      too... and I'll bet y'all will find more uses for it than me!

      Got any burning questions about anything on the net? Bring 'em and
      we'll open 'em up for discussion.

      Sat,May 5, 10:15 am - 12:15 pm
      North Village Library (web site
      <http://www.austinlibrary.com/apllocations.cfm?acronym=anvmap> )
      2505 Steck Ave
      Austin, TX 78757 (map <http://goo.gl/maps/uIpz> )

      P.S. The early birds meet for breakfast about 9:00 at:
      Waterloo Ice
      House8600 Burnet Rd
      Austin, TX 78757(map <http://goo.gl/maps/qiEb> )

    • NPENA
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2012
        Austin American Statesman in today's Tech Sunday contained article that
        goes right along with this month's internet sig meeting.I will use all
        three, but I would have preferred that Google's dropbox not
        automatically include google documents.
        Review: Using files made easy with online storage
        <http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/review-using-files-made-ea\
        sy-with-online-storage-2353317.html> By Anick JesdanunASSOCIATED
        PRESSPublished: 7:52 p.m. Saturday, May 12, 2012
        AND THE WINNERS ARE::
        *Storage
        The services give you plenty of free space for word processing,
        spreadsheets and other basics, but not enough for extensive storage of
        photos and video.
        You get 2 gigabytes for free on Dropbox, 5 GB on Google Drive and 7 GB
        on SkyDrive.
        Winner: SkyDrive, with the most free storage and cheapest upgrade plans.
        Not surprisingly, the best search options come from Google, the Internet
        search leader.
        Winner: Google Drive
        *Software
        Dropbox has the most software options.
        Winner: Dropbox<<>>Dropbox is my favorite in lieu of home network or
        swapping flash drives.I especially like the feature that marks files
        that are synced from hard drive to the cloud..But, if you delete it from
        the dropbox web site will it sync again if dropbox is installed on
        another computer is connected?I use dropbox on desktop, loptop and Acer
        Notebook, but I would never use a file with personal info.I will stick
        with the flash drive to do that!

        Eventually I will include all three services for three categories of
        files. [:-?]