Getting Ready for Summer

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 7:35 AM
      We're happy around here because summer is coming and so are the shorebirds. Many of them are trickling into town and some of the usual suspects can be seen at Virgin Creek most days. If you'd like to brush up on shorebird i.d., we'll have in-field training at Virgin Creek Beach every Friday morning through the end of June (EXCEPT FOR MAY 6 and MAY 20). Our SOS summer surveys begin July 1 when director Joleen Ossello takes over.

      In the meantime, please join us for training if you like. We'll meet at 8:30 a.m. every Friday until the end of June (except for May 6 and May 20). Mee at the trailhead to the Enchanted Trail at the parking pullout on the west side of Highway 1 just north of the Three Rivers Learning Center. The trail is pretty sloppy right now, so if you want to stay dry, take the surfer's path to the beach and we'll meet you at the Virgin Creek Bridge (around 8:50 a.m.). This is informal, so peel off whenever work or commitments demand. We'll cover survey protocol, safety, and data sheets. Takes a little more than an hour.

      In the identification department, a good start is to click on Richard Hubacek photos in this listserve photo albums. They are diagnostic--and brilliant.

      Hope to see you at the beach.