Mayan 'End' of Year on 12-21-'12

  • Ancient Star
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2012
      Maya mural found: Refutes world's end on 12/21/12
      Above, Mayan mural shows red haired Mayan  (Chachapoyan perhaps).
      Only 'end' is the year at Yule-tide on December 21, winter solstice day.
      Maya mural:  Refutes 'world's end' on 12/21/12
      By William Atkins

      Archaeologists discovered an ancient Mayan mural that contains a calendar, which refutes the idea that the world will come to an end on December 21, 2012. It looks like we are safe again from another misguided doomsday scenario.

      The recently discovered calendar states predictions that go out several thousand years into the future – way past 12/21/2012, the mythical end of the world date. Boy, that was close! I thought we were goners later in 2012!

      The Mayan mural was found in an ancient Mayan house deep in the Guatemalan rainforest. It was found in 2010 within the ancient Maya city of Xultun (Sol Town) in northeast Guatemala.

      Dr. William Saturno, an assistant professor of archaeology at Boston University, is the leader of the archaeological team that uncovered this ancient mural...Saturno stated, “The paintings we have here—we've never found them anyplace else.” [National Geographical (5/10/12) “Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth”]

      And, the 5/11/12 Christian Science Monitor article “Oldest Mayan calendar found, and it goes way beyond Dec. 12, 2012” goes into much more detail as to what was found to refute the doomsday predition that the world will come to an end on December 21, 2012 based on the Maya calendar.

      The CSM article states in part, The oldest-known version of the ancient Maya calendar has been discovered adorning a lavishly painted wall in the ruins of a city deep in the Guatemalan rainforest.

      And, the hieroglyphs, painted in black and red, along with a colorful mural of a king and his mysterious attendants, seem to have been a sort of handy reference chart for court scribes...the astronomers and mathematicians of their day.

      Further (and most importantly), Contrary to popular myth, this calendar isn't a countdown to the end of the world in December 2012, the study researchers said.