Re: [AtkinBoats] What do you get when you order the plans

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2004
      No , wrong.

      You get much more detail and can easily work out the material requirements needed to build the said design. Also note that Atkin says that you should not modify his designs in any way otherwise you may be dissappointed with the results.(minor cosmetic changes I'm sure would be OK, but adding excess superstructure or overpowering are no no s!)
      I've ordered 3 sets of study plans from Pat Atkin and you get virtually all the detail you need to build the boat except the table of offsets. Of course the plans are a very small scale so unless you had access to professional enlarging equipment you couldn't easily build the boats from the study plans. Anyway the full plans for the majority of Atkin's designs are comparitively cheap when compared to other designer's plans, even Bolger!
      The study plans include Atkin's original article on the design when it appeared in Motorboating (I'm talking about the inboard cruiser designs here!)

      Hugo Tyson,

      Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
      Bryan Harstad <bryanharstad@...> wrote:
      I am assuming that the study plans are just blow ups of whats on the
      atkinboats web pages. Is this right?

      What do you get if you order the real plans?

      Bryan Harstad
      SomewhereInND
      South of 'The Tree'
      North of 'The Hill'

      No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
        The study plans for the boats that were published in MoToR BoatinG (that's
        almost all of the boats in the catalog) are copies of the complete how-to-
        build articles from the magazine, with the table of offsets blanked out.
        Study plans for the "Three Little Cruising Yachts" are copies of chapters in
        the book Of Yachts and Men. To tell you the truth, I don't know what the
        study plans for the newer plans by John Atkin consist of. The "real plans"
        give you the full-size scale drawings, which may be no more than what you
        see in small size in the magazine articles for the small boats, but may
        contain more sheets showing details for the larger boats. And, of course,
        the table of offsets. Building instructions are the how-to-build articles
        from MoToR BoatinG, for the boats that appeared there.

        The building instructions don't hold your hand every step of the way.
        Amateur boatbuilders were assumed to be handier back when the Atkins drew
        plans for MoToR BoatinG. If you don't already have experience building boats
        study up on the subject, and start with one of the smaller and simpler Atkin
        boats.

        On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 04:00:32 -0000, Bryan H wrote:
        > I am assuming that the study plans are just blow ups of whats on the
        > atkinboats web pages. Is this right?
        >
        > What do you get if you order the real plans?

        Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull,
        so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe
        a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described
        a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>