Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Building a Atkins Boat

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26 7:13 PM
      Totally off topic, but continuing about classic British bikes! What about the Velocette Venom Clubman and Thruxton 500cc Singles. They were fantastic!

      John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
      It wasn't styling that killed off the British bike manufacturers -- at the
      time they died the Japanese were emulating their style (not too well )
      -- it was a reluctance to update the technology of their bikes. :o( People
      bought Hoyamakawazukis because they didn't leave puddles of oil in the
      garage or need a couple hours of fettling every week. I like fettling just
      fine and think bikers who ride bikes that don't need it are sissies. ;o)
      And I like the "character" of those old-fashioned machines. I'll bet if
      you blindfolded someone and sent him off on a modern Japanese motorcycle
      that he (after he crashed because he couldn't see where he was going )
      wouldn't be able to tell you whether it was a Honda or a Suzuki, but
      there's no mistaking the feel and sound of a Norton or Triumph! It's nice
      to see that there's still a Triumph being built in England, but the models
      that look an awful lot like the old ones (truly retro) are just
      trouble-free modern motorcycles in disguise. :o( Thank goodness there's
      still on manufacturer that never forgot how to make 'em like they used to,
      even if it's in South Asia instead of Old Blighty. :o)

      Motorcycles made in the fifties and sixties look, to most people, like
      motorcycles "ought to", the styling was integrated with the function.
      Except for a cover for the oil tank, my Norton Commando doesn't have a
      single part that was added just for looks, and my Enfield doesn't even
      make that single concession to style, instead the parts that are needed to
      make the bike go are styled. That's the kind of look that stays looking
      good. The boat styles of the fifties, especially after fiberglass freed
      the designers from the tyranny imposed by the fair curves wood requires,
      suffer from a wretched excess of style for style's sake. :o( Although some
      folks love late '50s automobiles for their kitsch value, I don't think
      there's anyone today who really thinks a '58 Oldsmobile or a '59 Buick
      Invicta is beautiful, and I think that applies to boats too...

      --
      John
      Self respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is

      Yahoo! Groups Links