Re: Building a Atkins Boat

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
      David,

      I can't agree that Martha Green might probably be easier to build than
      Unsanctioned. She is two feet longer, 21 1/2 inches more draft, lots
      more displacement, and has the added complication of an inboard engine
      with a shaft to fit. Not an easy build for a novice.

      And, just look how Chrysler has capitalized on the "retro" look with
      the PT cruiser! Unsanctioned was designed as an "easy build" and
      utilizes plywood construction. I have no idea of the level of detail
      in the plans, but I bet that an experienced woodworker would not have
      a difficult time with construction.

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

      > Ed,
      >
      > Given what you've said, I think you've found the right place. You've
      > made a good start at describing your situation, but I'd repeat what I
      > said to the the previous poster - the more information about your
      > criteria, the more intelligently the group can respond. John, who runs
      > this group, is an excellent resource, who's very familiar with the
      > Atkin line of designs. There are others who post here who can be
      > helpful also, but they need info. For instance - in addition to the
      > questions posed in my last post: what waters exactly, and how rough;
      > how important is shallow draft; what "look" are you favoring.
      >
      > From what you've said so far, I'd think about Martha Green. She's of
      > comparable size to Unsanctioned. She's probably easier to build. Her
      > looks (I realize aesthetics are Very Subjective) are traditional &
      > salty - where Unsanctioned are 50's "retro" . But that's just one
      > thought. Whatever you decide, have fun.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > David Graybeal
      >
      > "A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off
      > more than he can chew" -- Herb Caen
      >
      > *****************
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Robbins" <erobbins@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am new to boating, boats and most certainly boat building. I
      > > purchased a second home on a large lake, then bought a small
      > fiberglass motorboat. Fun, but not designed for anything but warm and
      > fair weather. After much thought and looking at many designs I think
      > the Atkins "Unsanctioned" would fit my needs. HAs anyone out there
      > built it?
      >
      > > Are Atkins plans for complete novices? I have woodworking
      > experience, but absolutly no boat knowledge. There is very little info
      > on the web site.
      > >
      > > The local marine shops have no experience beyond selling fiberglass
      > > boats with big engines and huge appetites for fuel. I am much
      > impressed by information on Atkins site regarding low horsepower,
      > reasonable speeds and ability to manage rough water. The lake where I
      > will sail can get real rough,extremly quickly.I assume a competent
      > boat will better protect a neophyte sailer.
      > >
      > > Any information will be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Ed

    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
        Lewis,

        I think you're right. I was relying on memory (now there's a recipe
        for disaster, esp. w/my memory) - which said that Unsanctioned was a
        round-bilged boat, which would have required more skill to build. It's
        not. It's a very similar construction to Martha Green - without, as
        you say, the added size & complexity of MG. Thanks for the correction.

        On the topic of looks, it's very hard to make recommendations about
        aesthetics. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I'd personally
        prefer the timeless tradtitional look of MG. However, I agree that the
        retro look of Unsanctioned could be very nifty.

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Art is all of a boat but the wood" -- Thoreau

        *******************

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
          Is Unsanctioned, which was designed over 50 years ago, really retro? It's
          kinda like my motorcycle, which looks just like the ones they made 50
          years ago -- they just never stopped making them that way! <g> The PT
          Cruiser and a lot of Harleys are retro because they were designed recently
          to deliberately look old... But I agree that Unsanctioned '50s look isn't
          a style that stands the test of time well (of course that's just my
          opinion). For a really awful example of '50s schtick look at Bebop!

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Bebop.html

          I also recall a couple of perfectly nice runabouts, designed by Al Mason
          for Popular Mechanix or a similar mag, IIRC -- except that they had big
          tail fins tacked on! :ob Fortunately, a builder who has a little bit of
          aesthetic taste can just ignore the awful excrescences, because they
          really were just tacked onto the plans as an afterthough to make the boats
          look "up to date". <g>

          On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:58:10 -0800, David wrote:

          > On the topic of looks, it's very hard to make recommendations about
          > aesthetics. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I'd personally
          > prefer the timeless tradtitional look of MG. However, I agree that the
          > retro look of Unsanctioned could be very nifty.

          Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl
          and discovering she looks like a haddock. <John Barrymore>
        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
            John,

            I agree about the motorcycles. I get the impression that many of those
            makers (Triumph, Norton, BSA, etc.)were too slow on the uptake to
            realize that tastes had changed, and they were no longer making any
            money. Eventually, tastes came back around - so it's good that some of
            them were able to hang around - or get revived.

            Did some sort of similar dynamic occur with boats? I wasn't aware of
            any builders who were making boats with that type of styling during
            the '80's & '90's - but you'd know more than I. I kinda like those
            silly, overstyled confections. Have you seen this classic fiberglass
            boat site? I'll try a link:

            "http://fiberglassics.com"

            Look in the Gallery, then Boats in the Belfry. Outrageous!

            Cheers,
            David Graybeal
            Portland, OR

            "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

            ***********************

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
              It wasn't styling that killed off the British bike manufacturers -- at the
              time they died the Japanese were emulating their style (not too well <g>)
              -- it was a reluctance to update the technology of their bikes. :o( People
              bought Hoyamakawazukis because they didn't leave puddles of oil in the
              garage or need a couple hours of fettling every week. I like fettling just
              fine and think bikers who ride bikes that don't need it are sissies. ;o)
              And I like the "character" of those old-fashioned machines. I'll bet if
              you blindfolded someone and sent him off on a modern Japanese motorcycle
              that he (after he crashed because he couldn't see where he was going <g>)
              wouldn't be able to tell you whether it was a Honda or a Suzuki, but
              there's no mistaking the feel and sound of a Norton or Triumph! It's nice
              to see that there's still a Triumph being built in England, but the models
              that look an awful lot like the old ones (truly retro) are just
              trouble-free modern motorcycles in disguise. :o( Thank goodness there's
              still on manufacturer that never forgot how to make 'em like they used to,
              even if it's in South Asia instead of Old Blighty. :o)

              Motorcycles made in the fifties and sixties look, to most people, like
              motorcycles "ought to", the styling was integrated with the function.
              Except for a cover for the oil tank, my Norton Commando doesn't have a
              single part that was added just for looks, and my Enfield doesn't even
              make that single concession to style, instead the parts that are needed to
              make the bike go are styled. That's the kind of look that stays looking
              good. The boat styles of the fifties, especially after fiberglass freed
              the designers from the tyranny imposed by the fair curves wood requires,
              suffer from a wretched excess of style for style's sake. :o( Although some
              folks love late '50s automobiles for their kitsch value, I don't think
              there's anyone today who really thinks a '58 Oldsmobile or a '59 Buick
              Invicta is beautiful, and I think that applies to boats too...

              On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:40:57 -0800, David G wrote:

              > I agree about the motorcycles. I get the impression that many of those
              > makers (Triumph, Norton, BSA, etc.)were too slow on the uptake to
              > realize that tastes had changed, and they were no longer making any
              > money. Eventually, tastes came back around - so it's good that some of
              > them were able to hang around - or get revived.
              >
              > Did some sort of similar dynamic occur with boats? I wasn't aware of
              > any builders who were making boats with that type of styling during
              > the '80's & '90's - but you'd know more than I. I kinda like those
              > silly, overstyled confections. Have you seen this classic fiberglass
              > boat site? I'll try a link:
              >
              > "http://fiberglassics.com"
              >
              > Look in the Gallery, then Boats in the Belfry. Outrageous!

              Self respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is
              suspicious. <H. L. Mencken>
            • Hugo Tyson
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
                Totally off topic, but continuing about classic British bikes! What about the Velocette Venom Clubman and Thruxton 500cc Singles. They were fantastic!

                Yahoo! Groups Links