Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: The Powerboat with Sails, "We're Here"

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
      I didn't reply right away because I was looking for a comment Mrs. Atkin
      made about We're Here. Alas, I couldn't dig it up. The gist of it was that
      John Atkin wasn't satisfied with We're Here's performance, he thought her
      too tender among other things, so he chose not to put her into the
      catalog. But the Atkins used We're Here for years and Billy Atkin seemed
      to like her. <shrug> Big Surprise was also excluded from the catalog for
      being too tender. Surprise, Little Silver and Periwinkl are motorboats
      with sails that John Atkin thought good enough to put into the catalog.
      Surprise is one of my favorites. I've got a Universal Fisherman that'd fit
      real nice in one. <g>

      Dan MacNaugton is not part of his brother's design business. I imagine he
      included a photo of We're Here in his article because she was mentioned
      prominently in Billy Atkin's writings.

      On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:52:53 -0800, denis wrote:

      > I'm surprised there were no answers to this post, especially
      > considering Mr. Atkin designed and built this boat for his own use.
      > That says a lot about it. Perhaps someone in the Macnaughton group
      > would know more about how this design worked out since they wrote that
      > great article.

      One cat just leads to another. <Ernest Hemingway>