Re: Most Popular Atkin Design?

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
      Denis,

      Four thoughts.

      First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a good
      choice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpful
      to know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;
      how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and how
      fast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.

      Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been several
      built. If you have not found it yet, look in the header for this Yahoo
      group and click the link. Then click photos. You'll find a number of
      fotos of Ninigret. Pretty boat, IMHO.

      Third - I can, absolutely, tell you how to make a small fortune in the
      boatbuilding business... Start with a large fortune. You don't say
      what your experience is, nor your shop setup. I'm Guessing - you're an
      amateur with a minimum shop. It's not impossible for a backyard
      boatbuilder to sell his product for a price that allows for a living
      wage - but it's not common. IF you don't mind at all keeping the boat
      if it doesn't sell, AND you would sell if the right offer comes along,
      AND if the right offer means at least recouping your material costs,
      THEN I think you'll be happy. If you go into it expecting to sell the
      boat, and to make money, I'd say the odd's are you'll likely be
      disappointed.

      Fourth - You don't say how much time you'll have to devote to this
      project. Is the boat show about a year away? Unless you'll be working
      at this fulltime, I doubt the boat would be finished for the show (and
      perhaps not even then).

      Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way I
      see it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?

      Grouch, Grumble, Grump,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --
      Niels Bohr

      *******************

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" <denisnh@...> wrote:

      > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
      > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an
      Atkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an
      awful lot of favorable attention.

      > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice
      but not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very
      popular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone
      wants to buy it.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
        Russell R. is one of my favorites too. <g> I wish we had some photos of
        Russell R., I know some have been built. Russell R. didn't quite make it
        into the top 5 most popular plans, tying for 6th with a whole slew of
        other boats. I think a well made Russell R. would make a good impression
        at the boat show though, and she'd be a lot easier to build than a Rescue
        Minor.

        I'm itching for someone to build a new Sergeant Faunce! <g>

        On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:34:11 -0800, denis wrote:

        > I'm surprised there were no pictures of Russel R., though. I assume
        > you think it's a popular design by the number of plans sold?
        >
        > So, thank you for your opinion. Russel R. looks like a great boat to
        > cut my teet on "professional" building and also a great predecessor to
        > the next boat, Ninigret! :-)
        >
        > I also have my eye on Sargent Faunce, perhaps with a small deisel, but
        > that's a long way off so I won't worry about it now.

        I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. <Cleveland Amory>
      • JohnyM7@excite.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
          Hi Dennis, Have you considered a sailboat? I'm sure Valgerda would attract a lot of attention. I don't know how many have been built, but it's an incredibly beautiful design and appears to be a reasonably simple boat to build. Good luck at the boat show with whatever you build. JohnM--- On Sat 03/18, David < arbordg@... > wrote:From: David [mailto: arbordg@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:13:42 -0000Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Most Popular Atkin Design?Denis,Four thoughts.First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a goodchoice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpfulto know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and howfast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been severalbuilt. If you have not found it yet, look in the header
[...]
          finished for the show (andperhaps not even then).Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way Isee it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?Grouch, Grumble, Grump,David GraybealPortland, OR"Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --Niels Bohr*******************--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" wrote:>> Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was anAtkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted anawful lot of favorable attention. > > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nicebut not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been verypopular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someonewants to buy it. > > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on
          frame.> > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)> > Sincerely,> DenisNo flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Boat building design
          Building design
          Building design software

          Home building design
          Commercial building design
          Home building design plan

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.