Re: The Powerboat with Sails, "We're Here"

  • denisnh
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18 7:52 PM
      I'm surprised there were no answers to this post, especially
      considering Mr. Atkin designed and built this boat for his own use.
      That says a lot about it. Perhaps someone in the Macnaughton group
      would know more about how this design worked out since they wrote that
      great article.

      I assume there are no plans available in your inventory for We're Here?
      The book has enough information in it to build the boat but I would
      certainly buy plans if they are available. This boat would also be for
      my own use also. It's perfect for me, although some minor tayloring of
      the cabin would be needed. Not anything that will destroy the trim or
      cause a lot of extra windage, though. It's all in the dream stages
      right now so I won't bother you about it. There are some projects to
      finish up first. ugh!

      Spring is right around the corner! :-)

      Denis

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18 10:47 PM
        I didn't reply right away because I was looking for a comment Mrs. Atkin
        made about We're Here. Alas, I couldn't dig it up. The gist of it was that
        John Atkin wasn't satisfied with We're Here's performance, he thought her
        too tender among other things, so he chose not to put her into the
        catalog. But the Atkins used We're Here for years and Billy Atkin seemed
        to like her. <shrug> Big Surprise was also excluded from the catalog for
        being too tender. Surprise, Little Silver and Periwinkl are motorboats
        with sails that John Atkin thought good enough to put into the catalog.
        Surprise is one of my favorites. I've got a Universal Fisherman that'd fit
        real nice in one. <g>

        Dan MacNaugton is not part of his brother's design business. I imagine he
        included a photo of We're Here in his article because she was mentioned
        prominently in Billy Atkin's writings.

        On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:52:53 -0800, denis wrote:

        > I'm surprised there were no answers to this post, especially
        > considering Mr. Atkin designed and built this boat for his own use.
        > That says a lot about it. Perhaps someone in the Macnaughton group
        > would know more about how this design worked out since they wrote that
        > great article.

        One cat just leads to another. <Ernest Hemingway>