Re: Most Popular Atkin Design?

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
      Denis,

      Ninigret would be a good choice as it was a popular design (at least
      it received a lot of press). Another poster suggested Russel R. which
      has received a lot of recent attention on this forum, but may be a bit
      small and not have much "market appeal" in Maine. If you wanted to
      consider building an inboard powered vessel, any of the utility types
      should sell well in Maine. My favorite is Pennant, but it may be 5"
      too long. Brent and Utility also come to mind.

      Good Luck with your choice and keep us posted!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" <denisnh@...> wrote:

      > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
      > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an Atkin
      > sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an awful lot
      > of favorable attention.
      >
      > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice but
      > not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very popular in
      > the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone wants to buy
      > it.
      >
      > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a
      > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on frame.
      >
      > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Denis

    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
        Denis,

        Four thoughts.

        First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a good
        choice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpful
        to know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;
        how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and how
        fast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.

        Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been several
        built. If you have not found it yet, look in the header for this Yahoo
        group and click the link. Then click photos. You'll find a number of
        fotos of Ninigret. Pretty boat, IMHO.

        Third - I can, absolutely, tell you how to make a small fortune in the
        boatbuilding business... Start with a large fortune. You don't say
        what your experience is, nor your shop setup. I'm Guessing - you're an
        amateur with a minimum shop. It's not impossible for a backyard
        boatbuilder to sell his product for a price that allows for a living
        wage - but it's not common. IF you don't mind at all keeping the boat
        if it doesn't sell, AND you would sell if the right offer comes along,
        AND if the right offer means at least recouping your material costs,
        THEN I think you'll be happy. If you go into it expecting to sell the
        boat, and to make money, I'd say the odd's are you'll likely be
        disappointed.

        Fourth - You don't say how much time you'll have to devote to this
        project. Is the boat show about a year away? Unless you'll be working
        at this fulltime, I doubt the boat would be finished for the show (and
        perhaps not even then).

        Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way I
        see it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?

        Grouch, Grumble, Grump,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --
        Niels Bohr

        *******************

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" <denisnh@...> wrote:

        > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
        > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an
        Atkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an
        awful lot of favorable attention.

        > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice
        but not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very
        popular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone
        wants to buy it.

        > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a
        > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on frame.
        >
        > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Denis
      • denisnh
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
          Thanks for your response! I did look at the Russel R. and believe it's
          a very pretty boat with nice lines and features. Plus it uses an
          outboard! I've never been crazy about inboard engines and converted my
          22' lobster boat from an I/O to an outboard. That project was very
          successful (even if the outboard motor turned out to be a real lemon).

          Also, until the last few years, I never liked flat bottom boats,
          either. But on the Maine coast and throughout most of New England,
          I've seen stout flat bottom boats often used as work boats very
          sucessfully. The long slender flat bottoms such as Russel R. (or
          another example would be Phil Bolger's Sneakeasy) are not nearly as bad
          at pounding and spray as some of the wider, shorter boats.

          I'm surprised there were no pictures of Russel R., though. I assume
          you think it's a popular design by the number of plans sold?

          So, thank you for your opinion. Russel R. looks like a great boat to
          cut my teet on "professional" building and also a great predecessor to
          the next boat, Ninigret! :-)

          I also have my eye on Sargent Faunce, perhaps with a small deisel, but
          that's a long way off so I won't worry about it now.

          Warmest Regards to All,
          Denis

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

          > Take a look at the Russell R.

        • denisnh
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
            Thanks Lewis. I just noticed your response right after I finished
            writing a message about flat boats in Maine. People like Phil Bolger
            and Dynamite Payson seem to think they're ok and I know Dynamite's
            son has lobstered in the flat bottom clam/work skiff. But I believe
            you are right from a marketing advantage, a more comfortable,
            seaworthy hull would probably have a much wider potential market.
            Thanks for bringing that up. Guess, I still need to do some
            research.

            Also, thanks for the other design names you suggested. I will
            definitely give them a close look. Again, the outboard designs are
            preferred, but I have no objection to an inboard boat if it's one I
            like, especially some of those great Seabright skiffs the Atkin team
            were so fond of. I believe the V-bottom Seabright ranks up there as
            one of the best innovations in a century of boat design.

            I really admire people who are not afraid of "thinking outside of the
            box" as they say.

            Best Regards,
            Denis

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
              In the last year or so the most popular plans sold, not making a
              distinction between study plans and full plans, were:

              Rescue Minor (25)
              Little Maid of Kent (11)
              Valgerda, Ninigret (8)
              Pocahontas (7)
              Everhope, Surprise, Missie & Laurie, Ingrid (6)

              I think a Rescue Minor built to the plans out of plywood would attract a
              lot of interest.

              On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:58:11 -0800, denis wrote:

              > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
              > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an Atkin
              > sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an awful lot
              > of favorable attention.
              >
              > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice but
              > not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very popular in
              > the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone wants to buy
              > it.

              Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
              Tilman>
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
                Russell R. is one of my favorites too. <g> I wish we had some photos of
                Russell R., I know some have been built. Russell R. didn't quite make it
                into the top 5 most popular plans, tying for 6th with a whole slew of
                other boats. I think a well made Russell R. would make a good impression
                at the boat show though, and she'd be a lot easier to build than a Rescue
                Minor.

                I'm itching for someone to build a new Sergeant Faunce! <g>

                On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:34:11 -0800, denis wrote:

                > I'm surprised there were no pictures of Russel R., though. I assume
                > you think it's a popular design by the number of plans sold?
                >
                > So, thank you for your opinion. Russel R. looks like a great boat to
                > cut my teet on "professional" building and also a great predecessor to
                > the next boat, Ninigret! :-)
                >
                > I also have my eye on Sargent Faunce, perhaps with a small deisel, but
                > that's a long way off so I won't worry about it now.

                I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. <Cleveland Amory>
              • JohnyM7@excite.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
                  Hi Dennis, Have you considered a sailboat? I'm sure Valgerda would attract a lot of attention. I don't know how many have been built, but it's an incredibly beautiful design and appears to be a reasonably simple boat to build. Good luck at the boat show with whatever you build. JohnM--- On Sat 03/18, David < arbordg@... > wrote:From: David [mailto: arbordg@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:13:42 -0000Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Most Popular Atkin Design?Denis,Four thoughts.First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a goodchoice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpfulto know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and howfast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been severalbuilt. If you have not found it yet, look in the header
[...]
                  finished for the show (andperhaps not even then).Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way Isee it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?Grouch, Grumble, Grump,David GraybealPortland, OR"Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --Niels Bohr*******************--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" wrote:>> Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was anAtkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted anawful lot of favorable attention. > > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nicebut not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been verypopular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someonewants to buy it. > > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on
                  frame.> > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)> > Sincerely,> DenisNo flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                  Boat building design
                  Building design
                  Building design software

                  Home building design
                  Commercial building design
                  Home building design plan

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.