Most Popular Atkin Design?

  • denisnh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
      Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
      year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an Atkin
      sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an awful lot
      of favorable attention.

      I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice but
      not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very popular in
      the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone wants to buy
      it.

      I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a
      different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on frame.

      Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)

      Sincerely,
      Denis
    • huttbldr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
        Take a look at the Russell R.

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
          Denis,

          Ninigret would be a good choice as it was a popular design (at least
          it received a lot of press). Another poster suggested Russel R. which
          has received a lot of recent attention on this forum, but may be a bit
          small and not have much "market appeal" in Maine. If you wanted to
          consider building an inboard powered vessel, any of the utility types
          should sell well in Maine. My favorite is Pennant, but it may be 5"
          too long. Brent and Utility also come to mind.

          Good Luck with your choice and keep us posted!

          Lewis

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" <denisnh@...> wrote:

          > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
          > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an Atkin
          > sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an awful lot
          > of favorable attention.
          >
          > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice but
          > not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very popular in
          > the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone wants to buy
          > it.
          >
          > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a
          > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on frame.
          >
          > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Denis

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
            Denis,

            Four thoughts.

            First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a good
            choice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpful
            to know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;
            how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and how
            fast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.

            Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been several
            built. If you have not found it yet, look in the header for this Yahoo
            group and click the link. Then click photos. You'll find a number of
            fotos of Ninigret. Pretty boat, IMHO.

            Third - I can, absolutely, tell you how to make a small fortune in the
            boatbuilding business... Start with a large fortune. You don't say
            what your experience is, nor your shop setup. I'm Guessing - you're an
            amateur with a minimum shop. It's not impossible for a backyard
            boatbuilder to sell his product for a price that allows for a living
            wage - but it's not common. IF you don't mind at all keeping the boat
            if it doesn't sell, AND you would sell if the right offer comes along,
            AND if the right offer means at least recouping your material costs,
            THEN I think you'll be happy. If you go into it expecting to sell the
            boat, and to make money, I'd say the odd's are you'll likely be
            disappointed.

            Fourth - You don't say how much time you'll have to devote to this
            project. Is the boat show about a year away? Unless you'll be working
            at this fulltime, I doubt the boat would be finished for the show (and
            perhaps not even then).

            Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way I
            see it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?

            Grouch, Grumble, Grump,
            David Graybeal
            Portland, OR

            "Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --
            Niels Bohr

            *******************

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" <denisnh@...> wrote:

            > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
            > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an
            Atkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an
            awful lot of favorable attention.

            > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice
            but not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very
            popular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone
            wants to buy it.

            > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a
            > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on frame.
            >
            > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Denis
          • denisnh
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
              Thanks for your response! I did look at the Russel R. and believe it's
              a very pretty boat with nice lines and features. Plus it uses an
              outboard! I've never been crazy about inboard engines and converted my
              22' lobster boat from an I/O to an outboard. That project was very
              successful (even if the outboard motor turned out to be a real lemon).

              Also, until the last few years, I never liked flat bottom boats,
              either. But on the Maine coast and throughout most of New England,
              I've seen stout flat bottom boats often used as work boats very
              sucessfully. The long slender flat bottoms such as Russel R. (or
              another example would be Phil Bolger's Sneakeasy) are not nearly as bad
              at pounding and spray as some of the wider, shorter boats.

              I'm surprised there were no pictures of Russel R., though. I assume
              you think it's a popular design by the number of plans sold?

              So, thank you for your opinion. Russel R. looks like a great boat to
              cut my teet on "professional" building and also a great predecessor to
              the next boat, Ninigret! :-)

              I also have my eye on Sargent Faunce, perhaps with a small deisel, but
              that's a long way off so I won't worry about it now.

              Warmest Regards to All,
              Denis

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

              > Take a look at the Russell R.

            • denisnh
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
                Thanks Lewis. I just noticed your response right after I finished
                writing a message about flat boats in Maine. People like Phil Bolger
                and Dynamite Payson seem to think they're ok and I know Dynamite's
                son has lobstered in the flat bottom clam/work skiff. But I believe
                you are right from a marketing advantage, a more comfortable,
                seaworthy hull would probably have a much wider potential market.
                Thanks for bringing that up. Guess, I still need to do some
                research.

                Also, thanks for the other design names you suggested. I will
                definitely give them a close look. Again, the outboard designs are
                preferred, but I have no objection to an inboard boat if it's one I
                like, especially some of those great Seabright skiffs the Atkin team
                were so fond of. I believe the V-bottom Seabright ranks up there as
                one of the best innovations in a century of boat design.

                I really admire people who are not afraid of "thinking outside of the
                box" as they say.

                Best Regards,
                Denis

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
                  In the last year or so the most popular plans sold, not making a
                  distinction between study plans and full plans, were:

                  Rescue Minor (25)
                  Little Maid of Kent (11)
                  Valgerda, Ninigret (8)
                  Pocahontas (7)
                  Everhope, Surprise, Missie & Laurie, Ingrid (6)

                  I think a Rescue Minor built to the plans out of plywood would attract a
                  lot of interest.

                  On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:58:11 -0800, denis wrote:

                  > Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next
                  > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was an Atkin
                  > sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted an awful lot
                  > of favorable attention.
                  >
                  > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nice but
                  > not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been very popular in
                  > the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someone wants to buy
                  > it.

                  Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
                  Tilman>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 18, 2006
                    Russell R. is one of my favorites too. <g> I wish we had some photos of
                    Russell R., I know some have been built. Russell R. didn't quite make it
                    into the top 5 most popular plans, tying for 6th with a whole slew of
                    other boats. I think a well made Russell R. would make a good impression
                    at the boat show though, and she'd be a lot easier to build than a Rescue
                    Minor.

                    I'm itching for someone to build a new Sergeant Faunce! <g>

                    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:34:11 -0800, denis wrote:

                    > I'm surprised there were no pictures of Russel R., though. I assume
                    > you think it's a popular design by the number of plans sold?
                    >
                    > So, thank you for your opinion. Russel R. looks like a great boat to
                    > cut my teet on "professional" building and also a great predecessor to
                    > the next boat, Ninigret! :-)
                    >
                    > I also have my eye on Sargent Faunce, perhaps with a small deisel, but
                    > that's a long way off so I won't worry about it now.

                    I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. <Cleveland Amory>
                  • JohnyM7@excite.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
                      Hi Dennis, Have you considered a sailboat? I'm sure Valgerda would attract a lot of attention. I don't know how many have been built, but it's an incredibly beautiful design and appears to be a reasonably simple boat to build. Good luck at the boat show with whatever you build. JohnM--- On Sat 03/18, David < arbordg@... > wrote:From: David [mailto: arbordg@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:13:42 -0000Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Most Popular Atkin Design?Denis,Four thoughts.First - when responding to your query about whether Ninigret is a goodchoice and whether another boat would be better, it would be helpfulto know what your criteria are. For example: what waters; what usage;how many on board - typical & max; how far do you want to go, and howfast; trailered or moored; for your own use, or definitely to sell.Second - I personally like Ninigret, and there have been severalbuilt. If you have not found it yet, look in the header
[...]
                      finished for the show (andperhaps not even then).Sorry to come off as such a surly old curmudgeon, but that's the way Isee it. BTW, is the nh in your email New Hampshire?Grouch, Grumble, Grump,David GraybealPortland, OR"Prediction is very difficult, expecially if it's about the future" --Niels Bohr*******************--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "denisnh" wrote:>> Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of building a boat to show at next > year's Maine boat builder's show. I know last year there was anAtkin sedan cruiser with the V-seabright hull and it attracted anawful lot of favorable attention. > > I'm looking for a boat design 24' or less, seabright would be nicebut not absolutely required, and must be a boat that's been verypopular in the past. I will probably accept a fair offer if someonewants to buy it. > > I really love the Ninigret. Good choice, or would you recommend a > different design? I can build ply or traditional plank on
                      frame.> > Enjoy the warmer weather to come VERY soon. :-)> > Sincerely,> DenisNo flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                      Boat building design
                      Building design
                      Building design software

                      Home building design
                      Commercial building design
                      Home building design plan

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.