The Powerboat with Sails, "We're Here"

  • denisnh
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2006
      I read about We're Here in one of the Atkin books and to my delight was
      able to find a picture of the completed boat in one of the articles you
      have by the Macnaughton Group. It's a very unusual and pretty boat.

      Is there any record of how the actual boat worked out? Did it meet
      expectations as far as speed and rough water handling goes?

      Thanks,
      Denis
    • denisnh
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
        I'm surprised there were no answers to this post, especially
        considering Mr. Atkin designed and built this boat for his own use.
        That says a lot about it. Perhaps someone in the Macnaughton group
        would know more about how this design worked out since they wrote that
        great article.

        I assume there are no plans available in your inventory for We're Here?
        The book has enough information in it to build the boat but I would
        certainly buy plans if they are available. This boat would also be for
        my own use also. It's perfect for me, although some minor tayloring of
        the cabin would be needed. Not anything that will destroy the trim or
        cause a lot of extra windage, though. It's all in the dream stages
        right now so I won't bother you about it. There are some projects to
        finish up first. ugh!

        Spring is right around the corner! :-)

        Denis

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
          I didn't reply right away because I was looking for a comment Mrs. Atkin
          made about We're Here. Alas, I couldn't dig it up. The gist of it was that
          John Atkin wasn't satisfied with We're Here's performance, he thought her
          too tender among other things, so he chose not to put her into the
          catalog. But the Atkins used We're Here for years and Billy Atkin seemed
          to like her. <shrug> Big Surprise was also excluded from the catalog for
          being too tender. Surprise, Little Silver and Periwinkl are motorboats
          with sails that John Atkin thought good enough to put into the catalog.
          Surprise is one of my favorites. I've got a Universal Fisherman that'd fit
          real nice in one. <g>

          Dan MacNaugton is not part of his brother's design business. I imagine he
          included a photo of We're Here in his article because she was mentioned
          prominently in Billy Atkin's writings.

          On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:52:53 -0800, denis wrote:

          > I'm surprised there were no answers to this post, especially
          > considering Mr. Atkin designed and built this boat for his own use.
          > That says a lot about it. Perhaps someone in the Macnaughton group
          > would know more about how this design worked out since they wrote that
          > great article.

          One cat just leads to another. <Ernest Hemingway>