Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Jane

Expand Messages
  • david judd
    Hi JJ You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise. ...and do have the power loss of v-belts. when you
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi JJ
      You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

      ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

      when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

      It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave


      JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
      Good morning David,
      For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
      cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
      $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
      Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
      raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
      would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
      WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
      Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
      especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
      counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
      you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
      at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
      belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
      have the power loss of v-belts.

      Good luck on your project.
      JJ

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
      weeks
      > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
      take
      > the time to answer it.
      >
      > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
      of
      > engine would work best? Thanks.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >







      No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.

      If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

      The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>





      SPONSORED LINKS
      Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

      ---------------------------------
      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


      ---------------------------------





      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Mail
      Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • JJ Johnson
      I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do better in the future.
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this
        messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do
        better in the future. You are correct in your assumption about the
        belt loss, put "not" between "do: and "have".

        Cheers
        Bad fingers JJ


        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi JJ
        > You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my
        ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.
        >
        > ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.
        >
        > when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?
        >
        > It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy
        first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave
        >
        >
        > JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
        > Good morning David,
        > For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
        > cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable
        price,
        > $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
        > Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
        > raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting.
        This
        > would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
        > WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
        > Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
        > especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
        > counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little
        tinkering
        > you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
        > at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of
        V-
        > belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and
        do
        > have the power loss of v-belts.
        >
        > Good luck on your project.
        > JJ
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
        > >
        > >
        > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple
        of
        > weeks
        > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
        would
        > take
        > > the time to answer it.
        > >
        > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what
        kind
        > of
        > > engine would work best? Thanks.
        > >
        > > Dave
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
        polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
        plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
        Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
        resulting boat.
        >
        > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > SPONSORED LINKS
        > Boat building design Building design Building design
        software Home building design Commercial building design Home
        building design plan
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        >
        > Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail
        > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • John Kohnen
        I didn t jump in here way back when because I didn t have anything to add. But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British Jupiter
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
          But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
          Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
          mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
          won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
          but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
          fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
          the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
          fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
          little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
          water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/files/Temp/EconomyJaneRudder.jpg

          On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

          > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
          > not alone with that.
          > ...

          --
          John <jkohnen@...>
          When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
          land. <Samuel Johnson>
        • waltbald
          John, that s a great picture in its own right. For an economy boat, and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind boggling how every line
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
            and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
            boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

            Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
            know.

            thanks,

            Walter Owens


            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:
            >
            > I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything
            to add.
            > But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a
            British
            > Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling
            motor
            > mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
            > won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding
            bracket,
            > but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor
            mount
            > fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the
            side of
            > the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat
            work
            > fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts
            rolling a
            > little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
            > water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls
            back. :o(
            >
            >
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/files/Temp/EconomyJaneRudder.jpg
            >
            > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:
            >
            > > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks
            like I'm
            > > not alone with that.
            > > ...
            >
            > --
            > John <jkohnen@...>
            > When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
            > land. <Samuel Johnson>
            >
          • John Kohnen
            Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She was being
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
              very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
              was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
              when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
              found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
              anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
              the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
              but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
              gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
              old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
              these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
              live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
              sooner...

              On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

              > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
              > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
              > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
              >
              > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
              > know.

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
              land. <Samuel Johnson>
            • rkurtchner
              Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21 sail cruiser off the Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact dimensions off the
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
                Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
                dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
                construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
                sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
                weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
                trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
                rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
                member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
                consider?
              • Kenneth Grome
                ... Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford? http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                  > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.


                  Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

                  http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                  http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

                  Sincerely,
                  Ken Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                  www.bagacayboatworks.com
                • sbrookman74
                  First posting: I m an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19 Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

                    Thanks,

                    SteveB
                    http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                  • slusher_ben
                    Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I m kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout. Thanks.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                      Thanks.
                    • sbrookman74
                      ... I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                      • Scott Brumenschenkel
                        There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                          the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                        • michaelye4
                          ... Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 2 7:27 PM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                            Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                            Mike Schneider

                            > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > SteveB
                            > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                            >
                          • kollerj18
                            Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 2
                            • 0 Attachment

                              Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane

                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.