Re: Economy Jane

  • JJ Johnson
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
      Good morning David,
      For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
      cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
      $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
      Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
      raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
      would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
      WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
      Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
      especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
      counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
      you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
      at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
      belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
      have the power loss of v-belts.

      Good luck on your project.
      JJ

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:

      > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
      weeks
      > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
      take
      > the time to answer it.
      >
      > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
      of
      > engine would work best? Thanks.
      >
      > Dave

    • david judd
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
        Thanks John. I had not thought of that and will check it out. Thanks for the luck too. Dave.

        <JohnyM7@...> wrote: Hi David, It's been a while since I've checked the postings, so I'm a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge deck. These engines can still be found in good working order and appear on ebay from time to time. You might consider installing one as it might be simpler than an outboard on a double ender. Good luck with your boat. JohnM--- On Thu 03/02, david judd < dgj02000@... > wrote:From: david judd [mailto: dgj02000@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy JaneI was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More
        resources and more
        ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious. If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing. All the best Dave Judd waltbald wrote: It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double enderlike that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the propis located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise youneed a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deployor stow while underway.Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more aboutwhat you think of her.best regards,Walter Owens--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" wrote:>> > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks> and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take> the time to answer it.> > What would be the best way to fit an
        outboard engine and what kind of> engine would work best? Thanks.> > Dave> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <">http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan --------------------------------- YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service. --------------------------------- ---------------------------------Yahoo! MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <">http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Boat building design
        Building design
        Building design software

        Home building design
        Commercial building design
        Home building design plan

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

        ---------------------------------

      • david judd
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
          Hi JJ
          You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

          ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

          when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

          It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 6, 2006
            I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this
            messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do
            better in the future. You are correct in your assumption about the
            belt loss, put "not" between "do: and "have".

            Cheers
            Bad fingers JJ

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:

            > Hi JJ
            > You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my
            ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

            > ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.
            >
            > when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?
            >
            > It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy
            first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave

            > JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
            > Good morning David,
            > For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
            > cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable
            price,
            > $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
            > Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
            > raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting.
            This
            > would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
            > WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
            > Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
            > especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
            > counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little
            tinkering
            > you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
            > at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of
            V-
            > belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and
            do
            > have the power loss of v-belts.
            >
            > Good luck on your project.
            > JJ
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple
            of
            > weeks
            > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
            would
            > take
            > > the time to answer it.
            > >
            > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what
            kind
            > of
            > > engine would work best? Thanks.
            > >
            > > Dave

            polite.

            > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
            plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
            Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
            resulting boat.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            > Boat building design Building design Building design
            software Home building design Commercial building design Home
            building design plan

            Service.

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
              I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
              But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
              Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
              mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
              won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
              but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
              fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
              the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
              fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
              little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
              water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

              On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

              > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
              > not alone with that.

              When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
              land. <Samuel Johnson>
            • waltbald
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

                Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                know.

                thanks,

                Walter Owens

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                  Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
                  very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
                  was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
                  when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
                  found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
                  anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
                  the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
                  but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
                  gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
                  old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
                  these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
                  live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
                  sooner...

                  On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

                  > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                  > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                  > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
                  >
                  > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                  > know.

                  When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                  land. <Samuel Johnson>
                • rkurtchner
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                    Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
                    Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
                    dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
                    construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
                    sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
                    weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                    a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
                    trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
                    rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
                    member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
                    consider?
                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                      > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                      > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

                      Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

                      http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                      http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

                      Sincerely,
                      Ken Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com
                    • sbrookman74
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
                        First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

                        Thanks,

                        SteveB
                        http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                      • slusher_ben
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 10 10:26 AM
                          Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                          Thanks.
                        • sbrookman74
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 10 12:48 PM
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

                            > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                            >
                            > Thanks.

                            I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                          • Scott Brumenschenkel
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 12 10:29 AM
                              There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                              the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                            • michaelye4
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                                Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                                Mike Schneider

                                > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > SteveB
                                > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

                              • kollerj18
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 2

                                  Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane