Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Jane

Expand Messages
  • david judd
    Gee, I wish I could but the skiff is for the grandbrat. Cheers waltbald wrote: Well, there s another option for you. Put a motor on the
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
      Gee, I wish I could but the skiff is for the grandbrat.

      Cheers


      waltbald <lwo2@...> wrote:
      Well, there's another option for you. Put a motor on the transom of
      your dinghy. If the wind dies and you have to get home, you fire up
      the dinghy and tow yourself in.

      have fun,

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:
      >
      > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like
      I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term
      affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length
      of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an
      attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based
      on her design as is. More resources and more ambition might allow
      building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building
      Jane I will first build Precious.
      >
      > If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would
      be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing.
      >
      > All the best
      > Dave Judd
      >
      >
      > waltbald <lwo2@...> wrote:
      > It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double ender
      > like that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the prop
      > is located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise you
      > need a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deploy
      > or stow while underway.
      >
      > Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more about
      > what you think of her.
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > Walter Owens
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
      > >
      > >
      > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
      weeks
      > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
      would take
      > > the time to answer it.
      > >
      > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
      > > engine would work best? Thanks.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
      polite.
      >
      > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
      plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
      Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
      resulting boat.
      >
      > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > SPONSORED LINKS
      > Boat building design Building design Building design
      software Home building design Commercial building design Home
      building design plan
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      >
      > Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail
      > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >






      No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.

      If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

      The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>





      SPONSORED LINKS
      Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

      ---------------------------------
      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


      ---------------------------------





      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Mail
      Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • JohnyM7@excite.com
      Hi David, It s been a while since I ve checked the postings, so I m a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 4, 2006
        Hi David, It's been a while since I've checked the postings, so I'm a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge deck. These engines can still be found in good working order and appear on ebay from time to time. You might consider installing one as it might be simpler than an outboard on a double ender. Good luck with your boat. JohnM--- On Thu 03/02, david judd < dgj02000@... > wrote:From: david judd [mailto: dgj02000@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy JaneI was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More resources and more
        ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious. If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing. All the best Dave Judd waltbald wrote: It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double enderlike that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the propis located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise youneed a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deployor stow while underway.Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more aboutwhat you think of her.best regards,Walter Owens--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" wrote:>> > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks> and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take> the time to answer it.> > What would be the best way to fit an
        outboard engine and what kind of> engine would work best? Thanks.> > Dave> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan --------------------------------- YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service. --------------------------------- ---------------------------------Yahoo! MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        SPONSORED LINKS


        Boat building design
        Building design
        Building design software

        Home building design
        Commercial building design
        Home building design plan


        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.
        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.





        _______________________________________________
        Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
        The most personalized portal on the Web!


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • JJ Johnson
        Good morning David, For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
          Good morning David,
          For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
          cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
          $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
          Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
          raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
          would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
          WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
          Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
          especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
          counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
          you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
          at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
          belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
          have the power loss of v-belts.

          Good luck on your project.
          JJ

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
          weeks
          > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
          take
          > the time to answer it.
          >
          > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
          of
          > engine would work best? Thanks.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
        • david judd
          Thanks John. I had not thought of that and will check it out. Thanks for the luck too. Dave. wrote: Hi David, It s been a while since
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
            Thanks John. I had not thought of that and will check it out. Thanks for the luck too. Dave.

            <JohnyM7@...> wrote: Hi David, It's been a while since I've checked the postings, so I'm a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge deck. These engines can still be found in good working order and appear on ebay from time to time. You might consider installing one as it might be simpler than an outboard on a double ender. Good luck with your boat. JohnM--- On Thu 03/02, david judd < dgj02000@... > wrote:From: david judd [mailto: dgj02000@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy JaneI was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More
            resources and more
            ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious. If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing. All the best Dave Judd waltbald wrote: It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double enderlike that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the propis located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise youneed a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deployor stow while underway.Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more aboutwhat you think of her.best regards,Walter Owens--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" wrote:>> > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks> and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take> the time to answer it.> > What would be the best way to fit an
            outboard engine and what kind of> engine would work best? Thanks.> > Dave> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <">http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan --------------------------------- YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service. --------------------------------- ---------------------------------Yahoo! MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <">http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            SPONSORED LINKS


            Boat building design
            Building design
            Building design software

            Home building design
            Commercial building design
            Home building design plan


            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.
            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.





            _______________________________________________
            Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
            The most personalized portal on the Web!


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



            No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.

            If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

            The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>





            SPONSORED LINKS
            Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

            ---------------------------------
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


            Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


            ---------------------------------





            ---------------------------------
            Brings words and photos together (easily) with
            PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • david judd
            Hi JJ You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise. ...and do have the power loss of v-belts. when you
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
              Hi JJ
              You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

              ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

              when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

              It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave


              JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
              Good morning David,
              For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
              cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
              $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
              Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
              raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
              would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
              WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
              Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
              especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
              counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
              you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
              at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
              belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
              have the power loss of v-belts.

              Good luck on your project.
              JJ

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
              weeks
              > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
              take
              > the time to answer it.
              >
              > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
              of
              > engine would work best? Thanks.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              >
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >







              No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.

              If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

              The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
              <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>





              SPONSORED LINKS
              Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

              ---------------------------------
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


              Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              ---------------------------------





              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! Mail
              Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • JJ Johnson
              I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do better in the future.
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6, 2006
                I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this
                messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do
                better in the future. You are correct in your assumption about the
                belt loss, put "not" between "do: and "have".

                Cheers
                Bad fingers JJ


                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi JJ
                > You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my
                ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.
                >
                > ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.
                >
                > when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?
                >
                > It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy
                first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave
                >
                >
                > JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
                > Good morning David,
                > For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
                > cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable
                price,
                > $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
                > Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
                > raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting.
                This
                > would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
                > WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
                > Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
                > especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
                > counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little
                tinkering
                > you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
                > at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of
                V-
                > belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and
                do
                > have the power loss of v-belts.
                >
                > Good luck on your project.
                > JJ
                >
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
                > >
                > >
                > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple
                of
                > weeks
                > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
                would
                > take
                > > the time to answer it.
                > >
                > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what
                kind
                > of
                > > engine would work best? Thanks.
                > >
                > > Dave
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
                polite.
                >
                > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
                plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
                Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
                resulting boat.
                >
                > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > SPONSORED LINKS
                > Boat building design Building design Building design
                software Home building design Commercial building design Home
                building design plan
                >
                > ---------------------------------
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                >
                > Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.
                >
                > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                Service.
                >
                >
                > ---------------------------------
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Mail
                > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.
                >
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                >
              • John Kohnen
                I didn t jump in here way back when because I didn t have anything to add. But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British Jupiter
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28 12:07 AM
                  I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
                  But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
                  Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
                  mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
                  won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
                  but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
                  fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
                  the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
                  fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
                  little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
                  water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/files/Temp/EconomyJaneRudder.jpg

                  On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

                  > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
                  > not alone with that.
                  > ...

                  --
                  John <jkohnen@...>
                  When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                  land. <Samuel Johnson>
                • waltbald
                  John, that s a great picture in its own right. For an economy boat, and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind boggling how every line
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28 5:00 PM
                    John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                    and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                    boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

                    Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                    know.

                    thanks,

                    Walter Owens


                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything
                    to add.
                    > But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a
                    British
                    > Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling
                    motor
                    > mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
                    > won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding
                    bracket,
                    > but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor
                    mount
                    > fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the
                    side of
                    > the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat
                    work
                    > fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts
                    rolling a
                    > little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
                    > water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls
                    back. :o(
                    >
                    >
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/files/Temp/EconomyJaneRudder.jpg
                    >
                    > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:
                    >
                    > > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks
                    like I'm
                    > > not alone with that.
                    > > ...
                    >
                    > --
                    > John <jkohnen@...>
                    > When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                    > land. <Samuel Johnson>
                    >
                  • John Kohnen
                    Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She was being
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28 11:57 PM
                      Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
                      very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
                      was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
                      when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
                      found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
                      anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
                      the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
                      but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
                      gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
                      old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
                      these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
                      live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
                      sooner...

                      On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

                      > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                      > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                      > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
                      >
                      > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                      > know.

                      --
                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                      land. <Samuel Johnson>
                    • rkurtchner
                      Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21 sail cruiser off the Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact dimensions off the
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                        Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
                        Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
                        dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
                        construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
                        sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
                        weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                        a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
                        trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
                        rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
                        member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
                        consider?
                      • Kenneth Grome
                        ... Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford? http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                          > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                          > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.


                          Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

                          http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                          http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

                          Sincerely,
                          Ken Grome
                          Bagacay Boatworks
                          www.bagacayboatworks.com
                        • sbrookman74
                          First posting: I m an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19 Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
                            First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

                            Thanks,

                            SteveB
                            http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                          • slusher_ben
                            Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I m kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout. Thanks.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                              Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                              Thanks.
                            • sbrookman74
                              ... I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >
                                I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                              • Scott Brumenschenkel
                                There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                                  There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                                  the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                                • michaelye4
                                  ... Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                                    Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                                    Mike Schneider

                                    > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > SteveB
                                    > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                                    >
                                  • kollerj18
                                    Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 2, 2015

                                      Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane

                                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.