Re: Economy Jane

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
      Well, there's another option for you. Put a motor on the transom of
      your dinghy. If the wind dies and you have to get home, you fire up
      the dinghy and tow yourself in.

      have fun,

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like
      I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term
      affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length
      of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an
      attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based
      on her design as is. More resources and more ambition might allow
      building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building
      Jane I will first build Precious.

      > If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would
      be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing.

      > All the best
      > Dave Judd
      >

      > waltbald <lwo2@...> wrote:
      > It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double ender
      > like that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the prop
      > is located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise you
      > need a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deploy
      > or stow while underway.
      >
      > Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more about
      > what you think of her.
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > Walter Owens
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
      weeks
      > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
      would take
      > > the time to answer it.
      > >
      > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
      > > engine would work best? Thanks.
      > >
      > > Dave

      polite.

      > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
      plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
      Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
      resulting boat.

      > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      > Boat building design Building design Building design
      software Home building design Commercial building design Home
      building design plan

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • david judd
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
        Gee, I wish I could but the skiff is for the grandbrat.

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 4, 2006
          Hi David, It's been a while since I've checked the postings, so I'm a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge deck. These engines can still be found in good working order and appear on ebay from time to time. You might consider installing one as it might be simpler than an outboard on a double ender. Good luck with your boat. JohnM--- On Thu 03/02, david judd < dgj02000@... > wrote:From: david judd [mailto: dgj02000@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy JaneI was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More resources and more
          ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious. If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing. All the best Dave Judd waltbald wrote: It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double enderlike that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the propis located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise youneed a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deployor stow while underway.Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more aboutwhat you think of her.best regards,Walter Owens--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" wrote:>> > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks> and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take> the time to answer it.> > What would be the best way to fit an
          outboard engine and what kind of> engine would work best? Thanks.> > Dave> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan --------------------------------- YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service. --------------------------------- ---------------------------------Yahoo! MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Boat building design
          Building design
          Building design software

          Home building design
          Commercial building design
          Home building design plan

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

        • JJ Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
            Good morning David,
            For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
            cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
            $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
            Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
            raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
            would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
            WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
            Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
            especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
            counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
            you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
            at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
            belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
            have the power loss of v-belts.

            Good luck on your project.
            JJ

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:

            > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
            weeks
            > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
            take
            > the time to answer it.
            >
            > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
            of
            > engine would work best? Thanks.
            >
            > Dave

          • david judd

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2006
                Hi JJ
                You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

                ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

                when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

                It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6, 2006
                  I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this
                  messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do
                  better in the future. You are correct in your assumption about the
                  belt loss, put "not" between "do: and "have".

                  Cheers
                  Bad fingers JJ

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                    I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
                    But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
                    Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
                    mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
                    won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
                    but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
                    fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
                    the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
                    fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
                    little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
                    water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

                    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

                    > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
                    > not alone with that.

                    When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                    land. <Samuel Johnson>
                  • waltbald
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                      John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                      and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                      boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

                      Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                      know.

                      thanks,

                      Walter Owens

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                        Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
                        very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
                        was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
                        when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
                        found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
                        anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
                        the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
                        but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
                        gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
                        old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
                        these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
                        live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
                        sooner...

                        On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

                        > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                        > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                        > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
                        >
                        > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                        > know.

                        When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                        land. <Samuel Johnson>
                      • rkurtchner
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                          Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
                          Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
                          dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
                          construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
                          sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
                          weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                          a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
                          trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
                          rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
                          member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
                          consider?
                        • Kenneth Grome
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                            > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                            > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

                            Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

                            http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                            http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

                            Sincerely,
                            Ken Grome
                            Bagacay Boatworks
                            www.bagacayboatworks.com
                          • sbrookman74
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
                              First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

                              Thanks,

                              SteveB
                              http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                            • slusher_ben
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                                Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                                Thanks.
                              • sbrookman74
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

                                  > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.

                                  I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                                • Scott Brumenschenkel
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                                    There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                                    the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                                  • michaelye4
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                                      Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                                      Mike Schneider

                                      > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > SteveB
                                      > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

                                    • kollerj18
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 2, 2015

                                        Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane