Economy Jane

  • dgj02000
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2 3:03 PM
      Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks
      and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take
      the time to answer it.

      What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
      engine would work best? Thanks.

      Dave

    • waltbald
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2 4:12 PM
        It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double ender
        like that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the prop
        is located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise you
        need a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deploy
        or stow while underway.

        Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more about
        what you think of her.

        best regards,

        Walter Owens

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:

        > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks
        > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take
        > the time to answer it.
        >
        > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
        > engine would work best? Thanks.
        >
        > Dave

      • david judd
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2 4:50 PM
          I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More resources and more ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious.

          If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing.

          All the best
          Dave Judd

          waltbald <lwo2@...> wrote:
          It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double ender
          like that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the prop
          is located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise you
          need a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deploy
          or stow while underway.

          Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more about
          what you think of her.

          best regards,

          Walter Owens

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:

          > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks
          > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take
          > the time to answer it.
          >
          > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
          > engine would work best? Thanks.
          >
          > Dave

          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

          ---------------------------------

        • waltbald
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3 7:27 AM
            Well, there's another option for you. Put a motor on the transom of
            your dinghy. If the wind dies and you have to get home, you fire up
            the dinghy and tow yourself in.

            have fun,

            Walter Owens

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, david judd <dgj02000@...> wrote:

            > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like
            I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term
            affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length
            of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an
            attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based
            on her design as is. More resources and more ambition might allow
            building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building
            Jane I will first build Precious.

            > If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would
            be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing.

            > All the best
            > Dave Judd
            >

            > waltbald <lwo2@...> wrote:
            > It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double ender
            > like that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the prop
            > is located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise you
            > need a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deploy
            > or stow while underway.
            >
            > Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more about
            > what you think of her.
            >
            > best regards,
            >
            > Walter Owens
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
            weeks
            > > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone
            would take
            > > the time to answer it.
            > >
            > > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind of
            > > engine would work best? Thanks.
            > >
            > > Dave

            polite.

            > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
            plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
            Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
            resulting boat.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            > Boat building design Building design Building design
            software Home building design Commercial building design Home
            building design plan

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • david judd
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3 4:35 PM
              Gee, I wish I could but the skiff is for the grandbrat.

              Cheers

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4 8:10 PM
                Hi David, It's been a while since I've checked the postings, so I'm a little late with a reply. Mr. Atkin allowed space for a one-lunger under the bridge deck. These engines can still be found in good working order and appear on ebay from time to time. You might consider installing one as it might be simpler than an outboard on a double ender. Good luck with your boat. JohnM--- On Thu 03/02, david judd < dgj02000@... > wrote:From: david judd [mailto: dgj02000@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy JaneI was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm not alone with that. I'm also thinking of her as long-term affordable (I hope) housing which would call for shortening the length of the port-hand seat to allow fitting a wood/coal stove with an attached water heater. Otherwise we should suit each other well based on her design as is. More resources and more
                ambition might allow building Mink, but that looks unlikely. In any case before building Jane I will first build Precious. If you would care to offer anything more about this design I would be pleased to hear it. Thanks for writing. All the best Dave Judd waltbald wrote: It's hard to find a good place to put an outboard on a double enderlike that. I wonder if you could install an outboard so that the propis located right where it would be for an inboard motor. Otherwise youneed a bracket on the side and a motor that is light enough to deployor stow while underway.Economy Jane is one of my favorites. I'd be glad to hear more aboutwhat you think of her.best regards,Walter Owens--- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" wrote:>> > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of weeks> and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would take> the time to answer it.> > What would be the best way to fit an
                outboard engine and what kind of> engine would work best? Thanks.> > Dave> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan --------------------------------- YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                Service. --------------------------------- ---------------------------------Yahoo! MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                Boat building design
                Building design
                Building design software

                Home building design
                Commercial building design
                Home building design plan

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

              • JJ Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 5 8:49 AM
                  Good morning David,
                  For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
                  cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
                  $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
                  Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
                  raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
                  would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
                  WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
                  Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
                  especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
                  counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
                  you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
                  at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
                  belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
                  have the power loss of v-belts.

                  Good luck on your project.
                  JJ

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:

                  > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
                  weeks
                  > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
                  take
                  > the time to answer it.
                  >
                  > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
                  of
                  > engine would work best? Thanks.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • david judd

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 5 3:27 PM
                      Hi JJ
                      You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

                      ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

                      when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

                      It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 6 4:24 AM
                        I just slapped my fingers and told them to get to work and stop this
                        messing around, makeing these foolish mistakes. They promised to do
                        better in the future. You are correct in your assumption about the
                        belt loss, put "not" between "do: and "have".

                        Cheers
                        Bad fingers JJ

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                          I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
                          But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
                          Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
                          mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
                          won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
                          but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
                          fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
                          the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
                          fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
                          little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
                          water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

                          On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

                          > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
                          > not alone with that.

                          When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                          land. <Samuel Johnson>
                        • waltbald
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                            John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                            and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                            boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

                            Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                            know.

                            thanks,

                            Walter Owens

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
                              Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
                              very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
                              was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
                              when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
                              found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
                              anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
                              the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
                              but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
                              gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
                              old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
                              these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
                              live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
                              sooner...

                              On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

                              > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
                              > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
                              > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
                              >
                              > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
                              > know.

                              When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
                              land. <Samuel Johnson>
                            • rkurtchner
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                                Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
                                Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
                                dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
                                construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
                                sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
                                weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                                a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
                                trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
                                rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
                                member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
                                consider?
                              • Kenneth Grome
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                                  > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
                                  > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

                                  Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

                                  http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
                                  http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Ken Grome
                                  Bagacay Boatworks
                                  www.bagacayboatworks.com
                                • sbrookman74
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
                                    First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

                                    Thanks,

                                    SteveB
                                    http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
                                  • slusher_ben
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                                      Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                                      Thanks.
                                    • sbrookman74
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

                                        > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks.

                                        I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                                      • Scott Brumenschenkel
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                                          There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                                          the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                                        • michaelye4
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                                            Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                                            Mike Schneider

                                            > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            >
                                            > SteveB
                                            > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

                                          • kollerj18
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 2

                                              Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane