Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

That Boat 4 Sale at the Center for Wooden Boats

Expand Messages
  • John Kohnen
    My friend Jamie Orr helped the new owner get her back home to British Columbia last weekend. I still think she looks an awful lot like a Topsy, but I can t
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16 10:59 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      My friend Jamie Orr helped the new owner get her back home to British
      Columbia last weekend. I still think she looks an awful lot like a Topsy,
      but I can't make out if she's got that fat-in-the-middle keel for the
      inside ballast. If she's got that, it confirms she's a Topsy. She does
      have inside ballast. Here are a few pix of her out of the water:




      And here's Jamie's account of the voyage (thanks Jamie):

      "I emailed you about the Atkin boat that a friend was looking at -- must
      have been from home
      as I can't find the email so don't know what I said -- but anyway he up
      and bought it last
      weekend. He'd made the deal earlier, but the cash changed hands on Friday
      -- we took the
      Clipper down on Thursday night to get an early start on getting ready for
      the trip home,
      wanted to be there on a day that the industrial/marine places were all
      available to us. Good
      thing too, as the mechanic was working on the engine all day until he
      finally figured out that
      there was a wiring problem and put in a wire direct from the switch to the
      fuel pump. This
      was after changing just about everything in the fuel system, including
      plumbing in a remote
      tank in case of dirty fuel in the built-in one.

      "We left the Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union about 7:00 am on
      Saturday, squeaked
      under all the bridges and through the lock without any delays. Got to
      Port Townsend at 3:30
      but didn't get to stop overnight. Blaine was dead keen to reach Sooke, 20
      miles west of Victoria,
      on the same weekend and the only way we could do it was to reach Victoria
      on Saturday. We
      left PT around 4:30 pm and reached Victoria about 10:30, stayed on the
      boat so we could get an
      early start.

      "We got away from Victoria just after 0700 with the ebb tide to help us
      past Race Rocks, and
      were outside Sooke Harbour by 10:30, I think. Met a couple of killer
      whales there, one
      surfaced less than a boat length away then dove under us. Great view but
      missed that pic.
      Then we followed the range marks through the entrance, eventually reaching
      Sooke Basin
      where we left the boat. Final totals were 19 hours running and 97 miles.
      We had incredible
      luck with the weather window, and the tides. We couldn't plan those very
      well as we had to
      take a weekend we could both make, and this was the first chance. I was
      prepared to abort, or
      go up behind Whidbey to Anacortes, if we had to.

      "Anyway, what I started out to say was that maybe Pat would be interested
      to hear about the
      boat. Someone has been good to the old lady, she appears to be in good
      condition, probably
      thanks to her excellent boat cover -- probably cost more when new than
      Blaine paid for the
      boat ($4,000). The engine is allegedly only 12 years old, one of
      Universal's later models, based
      on a Kubota tractor motor. The rigging is the pits, though. The shrouds
      and forestay are
      (were) galvanized steel, now well sheathed in rust and flaking paint, with
      a stainless jibstay
      that's a little slack and probably isn't doing much. The forestay is too
      thick and rough to get
      the sail hanks to slide up, but we could put a sail on the outer stay if
      we wanted to step out on
      the bowsprit. The running rigging is equally ready for replacement. The
      peak halyard lead is
      bad, I'm sure it would chafe on itself at the upper block, which doesn't
      appear to swivel at all.
      We had the sails up at the dock, just to make sure they were available if
      needed, but in the
      event we made the whole trip under power. Good thing we had no problems
      in that
      department, as we had no wind except a head wind as we left Point Wilson
      and started across
      the strait. While we didn't sail, I got the feeling that she will go very
      nicely -- seemed to slip
      easily through the water with her little 2 cylinder, 12 horse motor hardly
      working, we ran at
      2,500 rpm all the way except for the Lake Washington Canal at one end and
      the entrance to
      Sooke Basin at the other.

      " -- she's called Turlough O'Carolan right now, but Blaine is looking for
      another name. I think
      the original was Snow Goose or like that, but I'm not sure. Blaine has a
      surveyor lined up to
      give him a list of things to do, and plans to gradually fix her up. He
      knows some of the folks
      that organize the Victoria Classic Boat Show, and wants to exhibit her
      there. I'm looking forward to seeing her underwater profile, maybe we can
      figure out the design from that -- Blaine
      doesn't think it's the one you suggested because he figures she has more
      draft and a lot more
      ballast, but we'll soon see. I've told him he should write to Pat, don't
      know if he will though.
      I'll send some pics when I can.

      "He's never sailed, never owned a boat, is looking for help and coaching
      so I can have all the
      time I want aboard her. I might see if I can talk him into taking her to
      Sucia, but I'd have to
      leave Wayward Lass behind. Hmm."

      John <jkohnen@...>
      He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
      hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.