Re: Is it Atkin?

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
      in Austin now.

      Mike Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
      wrote:

      > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
      wrote:

      > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
      and
      > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
      before
      > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
      main
      > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
      > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
      > >
      > > Mike Dolph

    • baycruiser54
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

        > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
        > in Austin now.
        >
        > Mike Dolph

        Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
        place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
        somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
        anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
        find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
        group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

        Steve Schaffer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
          Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
          old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
          Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
          building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
          Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
          building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
          be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

          On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

          > How difficult was it to make these?
          > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
          > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
          > vessels.

          I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
          couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>