Re: Is it Atkin?

  • Ivan Ogburn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      Mike - Did you ever find the boat?

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

      > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
      > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
      > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
      > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
      > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
      >
      > Mike Dolph

    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
        Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
        in Austin now.

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
        wrote:

        > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
        wrote:

        > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
        and
        > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
        before
        > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
        main
        > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
        > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
        > >
        > > Mike Dolph

      • baycruiser54
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

          > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
          > in Austin now.
          >
          > Mike Dolph

          Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
          place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
          somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
          anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
          find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
          group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

          Steve Schaffer
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
            Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
            old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
            Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
            building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
            Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
            building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
            be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

            On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

            > How difficult was it to make these?
            > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
            > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
            > vessels.

            I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
            couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>