Re: Is it Atkin?

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
      When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
      it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
      the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
      drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
      empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)

      Mike Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>

      <jdewolfe@a...>

      > us
      > > > where
      > it's
      > > > an
      > Is
      > > > it V-
      > accomodations
      > it
      > > > now?

      > <aogburn1@h...>

      > an
      > > > Atkin

      > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
      weekend
      > (I'm
      > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
      > think
      > > it's a Martha Green, too.
      > >
      > > Steve Schaffer

    • Ivan Ogburn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
        It was Anchor Marina and the old web link is:
        http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats_detail.cfm?
        BoatID=14466&CUSTOM&Pilot%20House%20Cruiser
        The boat sold before I could get to her, but I have fallen in love!
        Is there some place to purchase these old beauties?
        How difficult was it to make these?
        This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
        I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
        vessels.

        Ivan
        Seabrook, TX
        wrote:

        > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
        and
        > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
        > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
        main
        > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
        > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
        >
        > Mike Dolph
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
        > >
        > > Ivan
        > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
        > > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
        <aogburn1@h...>

        > > Cruiser.

        > <jdewolfe@a...>

        > tell
        > > us
        > > it's
        > it.
        > > Is
        > > accomodations
        Texas
        > is
        > > it

        > > <aogburn1@h...>

        > > an

        > > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
        > weekend
        > > (I'm
        > > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
        > > think
        > > > it's a Martha Green, too.
        > > >
        > > > Steve Schaffer

      • Ivan Ogburn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
          Mike - Did you ever find the boat?

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

          > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
          > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
          > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
          > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
          > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
          >
          > Mike Dolph

        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
            Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
            in Austin now.

            wrote:

            > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
            wrote:

            > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
            and
            > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
            before
            > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
            main
            > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
            > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
            > >
            > > Mike Dolph

          • baycruiser54
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

              > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
              > in Austin now.
              >
              > Mike Dolph

              Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
              place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
              somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
              anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
              find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
              group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

              Steve Schaffer
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
                old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
                Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
                building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
                Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
                building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
                be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

                On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

                > How difficult was it to make these?
                > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                > vessels.

                I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>