Re: Is it Atkin?

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...> wrote:

      > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House Cruiser.
      > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
      >
      > Ivan
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
      > where
      > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
      > an
      > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
      > it V-
      > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
      > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
      > now?
      > >
      > > Mike Dolph
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
      > Atkin
      > > > design?
      > > >
      > > > Ivan

      If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend (I'm
      in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I think
      it's a Martha Green, too.

      Steve Schaffer
    • Ivan Ogburn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
        It was in some marina there - not sure where.

        Ivan
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
        <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
        wrote:

        > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
        Cruiser.
        > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
        > >
        > > Ivan
        > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell
        us
        > > where
        > > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe
        it's
        > > an
        > > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it.
        Is
        > > it V-
        > > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and
        accomodations
        > > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is
        it
        > > now?
        > > >
        > > > Mike Dolph
        > > >
        > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
        <aogburn1@h...>

        > > Atkin

        > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend
        (I'm
        > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
        think
        > it's a Martha Green, too.
        >
        > Steve Schaffer

      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
          When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
          it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
          the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
          drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
          empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)

          Mike Dolph

          wrote:

          > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
          >
          > Ivan
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
          > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
          > Cruiser.
          > > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
          > > >
          > > > Ivan
          > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph"
          <jdewolfe@a...>

          > us
          > > > where
          > it's
          > > > an
          > Is
          > > > it V-
          > accomodations
          > it
          > > > now?

          > <aogburn1@h...>

          > an
          > > > Atkin

          > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
          weekend
          > (I'm
          > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
          > think
          > > it's a Martha Green, too.
          > >
          > > Steve Schaffer

        • Ivan Ogburn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
            It was Anchor Marina and the old web link is:
            http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats_detail.cfm?
            BoatID=14466&CUSTOM&Pilot%20House%20Cruiser
            The boat sold before I could get to her, but I have fallen in love!
            Is there some place to purchase these old beauties?
            How difficult was it to make these?
            This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
            I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
            vessels.

            Ivan
            Seabrook, TX
            wrote:

            > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
            and
            > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
            > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
            main
            > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
            > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
            >
            > Mike Dolph
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
            > >
            > > Ivan
            > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
            > > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
            <aogburn1@h...>

            > > Cruiser.

            > <jdewolfe@a...>

            > tell
            > > us
            > > it's
            > it.
            > > Is
            > > accomodations
            Texas
            > is
            > > it

            > > <aogburn1@h...>

            > > an

            > > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
            > weekend
            > > (I'm
            > > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
            > > think
            > > > it's a Martha Green, too.
            > > >
            > > > Steve Schaffer

          • Ivan Ogburn
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
              Mike - Did you ever find the boat?

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

              > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
              > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
              > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
              > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
              > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
              >
              > Mike Dolph

            • Mike Dolph
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
                Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                in Austin now.

                Mike Dolph

                wrote:

                > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
                >
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
                wrote:

                > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
                and
                > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
                before
                > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
                main
                > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                > >
                > > Mike Dolph

              • baycruiser54
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

                  > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                  > in Austin now.
                  >
                  > Mike Dolph

                  Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
                  place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
                  somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
                  anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
                  find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
                  group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

                  Steve Schaffer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                    Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
                    old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
                    Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
                    building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
                    Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
                    building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
                    be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

                    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

                    > How difficult was it to make these?
                    > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                    > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                    > vessels.

                    I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                    couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>