Re: Is it Atkin?

  • Ivan Ogburn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
      The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House Cruiser.
      It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.

      Ivan
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
      wrote:

      > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
      where
      > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
      an
      > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
      it V-
      > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
      > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
      now?

      > Mike Dolph
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
      wrote:

      > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
      Atkin
      > > design?
      > >
      > > Ivan

    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
        It didn't look wide and chunky enough in the picture but I think
        after looking at it you have a "Martha Green", if so it's got a
        chesapeake style deadrise bottom and I think it's considered one of
        the best practical Atkin's designs. All the rest of the looks seem
        to fit Martha Green and you can look at the plan if you follow the
        link at the top of the home page and look her up by name at the
        bottom of the catalog page.

        wrote:

        > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
        Cruiser.
        > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
        >
        > Ivan
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
        > where
        > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe
        it's
        > an
        > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it.
        Is
        > it V-
        > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and
        accomodations
        > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is
        it
        > now?
        > >
        > > Mike Dolph
        > >
        > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
        > Atkin
        > > > design?
        > > >
        > > > Ivan

      • baycruiser54
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...> wrote:

          > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House Cruiser.
          > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
          >
          > Ivan
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
          > where
          > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
          > an
          > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
          > it V-
          > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
          > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
          > now?
          > >
          > > Mike Dolph
          > >
          > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
          > Atkin
          > > > design?
          > > >
          > > > Ivan

          If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend (I'm
          in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I think
          it's a Martha Green, too.

          Steve Schaffer
        • Ivan Ogburn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
            It was in some marina there - not sure where.

            Ivan
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
            <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
            wrote:

            > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
            Cruiser.
            > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
            > >
            > > Ivan
            > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell
            us
            > > where
            > > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe
            it's
            > > an
            > > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it.
            Is
            > > it V-
            > > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and
            accomodations
            > > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is
            it
            > > now?
            > > >
            > > > Mike Dolph
            > > >
            > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
            <aogburn1@h...>

            > > Atkin

            > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend
            (I'm
            > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
            think
            > it's a Martha Green, too.
            >
            > Steve Schaffer

          • Mike Dolph
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
              When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
              it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
              the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
              drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
              empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)

              wrote:

              > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
              >
              > Ivan
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
              > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
              > Cruiser.
              > > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
              > > >
              > > > Ivan
              > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph"
              <jdewolfe@a...>

              > us
              > > > where
              > it's
              > > > an
              > Is
              > > > it V-
              > accomodations
              > it
              > > > now?

              > <aogburn1@h...>

              > an
              > > > Atkin

              > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
              weekend
              > (I'm
              > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
              > think
              > > it's a Martha Green, too.
              > >
              > > Steve Schaffer

            • Ivan Ogburn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
                It was Anchor Marina and the old web link is:
                http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats_detail.cfm?
                BoatID=14466&CUSTOM&Pilot%20House%20Cruiser
                The boat sold before I could get to her, but I have fallen in love!
                Is there some place to purchase these old beauties?
                How difficult was it to make these?
                This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                vessels.

                Ivan
                Seabrook, TX
                wrote:

                > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
                and
                > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
                > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
                main
                > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                >
                > Mike Dolph
                >
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
                > >
                > > Ivan
                > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
                > > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
                <aogburn1@h...>

                > > Cruiser.

                > <jdewolfe@a...>

                > tell
                > > us
                > > it's
                > it.
                > > Is
                > > accomodations
                Texas
                > is
                > > it

                > > <aogburn1@h...>

                > > an

                > > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
                > weekend
                > > (I'm
                > > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
                > > think
                > > > it's a Martha Green, too.
                > > >
                > > > Steve Schaffer

              • Ivan Ogburn
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
                  Mike - Did you ever find the boat?

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

                  > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
                  > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
                  > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
                  > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                  > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                  >
                  > Mike Dolph

                • Mike Dolph
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
                    Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                    in Austin now.

                    wrote:

                    > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
                    >
                    > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
                    wrote:

                    > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
                    and
                    > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
                    before
                    > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
                    main
                    > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                    > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                    > >
                    > > Mike Dolph

                  • baycruiser54
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

                      > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                      > in Austin now.
                      >
                      > Mike Dolph

                      Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
                      place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
                      somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
                      anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
                      find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
                      group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

                      Steve Schaffer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                        Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
                        old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
                        Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
                        building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
                        Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
                        building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
                        be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

                        On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

                        > How difficult was it to make these?
                        > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                        > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                        > vessels.

                        I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                        couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>