plywood Rocking Horse

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 29, 2004
      Greetings all.

      There must be many people such as myself who are interested in the
      Atkins houseboat designs, but not in the original (now obsolete)
      form of construction. I would love to buy plans for Rocking Horse,
      but what's the point if they can't be used "as supplied" to build
      from?
      How can I find out what the appropriate scantling sizes and
      spacings, and plywood thicknesses etc. would be for plywood/epoxy
      construction?

      Thanks,
      Alan.
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 29, 2004
        >How can I find out what the appropriate scantling sizes and
        >spacings, and plywood thicknesses etc. would be for plywood/epoxy
        >construction?

        Harry Sucher's SIMPLIFIED BOATBUILDING/FLAT BOTTOM BOATS gives some advice
        on equivalent construction for scow hulls. Try interlibrary loan for a
        copy, or if you get stuck email me next week and I can probably xerox you
        the relevant parts if you're willing to pay postage.

        In a nutshell, two layers of 1/2" ply on the bottom with some glass is
        going to be as "hard as a basement floor" to quote Phil Bolger.

        Interior framing can be as elaborate as you want. The difficulty with ply
        is not making it "strong enough" but rather, if you want a very light boat,
        figuring out how little of everything you can get away with.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
      • alan terry
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...>
          wrote:

          > Harry Sucher's SIMPLIFIED BOATBUILDING/FLAT BOTTOM BOATS gives
          some advice
          > on equivalent construction for scow hulls. Try interlibrary loan
          for a
          > copy, or if you get stuck email me next week and I can probably
          xerox you
          > the relevant parts if you're willing to pay postage.

          Thanks for the assistance, Craig. I have located a copy through
          Interloan and should have it in a few days. I have received a very
          pleasant e-mail from Pat Atkin in response to a query, and will
          forward my order to her in the next day or so.

          AlanTerry
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
            Don't dismiss old-fashoned plank on frame construction entirely. For a boat
            that's going to be living in the water (and you're not going to be
            trailering a Rocking Chair much) it's by no means obsolete. You might also
            consider steel for the hull. I think Harry Sucher shows a steel scow in his
            Simplified Boatbuilding to give you an idea for the scantlings.

            On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:32:08 -0000, Alan wrote:
            > Greetings all.
            >
            > There must be many people such as myself who are interested in the
            > Atkins houseboat designs, but not in the original (now obsolete)
            > form of construction.

            A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
            <Lord Peter Wimsey>
          • craig o'donnell
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
              >You might also
              >consider steel for the hull. I think Harry Sucher shows a steel scow in his
              >Simplified Boatbuilding to give you an idea for the scantlings.

              I think he does. I could check. Aluminum would work too. Learn to weld!
              Scows are pretty darn simple!

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
                > Don't dismiss old-fashoned plank on frame construction entirely.
                For a boat
                > that's going to be living in the water (and you're not going to be
                > trailering a Rocking Chair much) it's by no means obsolete. You
                might also
                > consider steel for the hull. I think Harry Sucher shows a steel
                scow in his
                > Simplified Boatbuilding to give you an idea for the scantlings.

                All these points I welcome and accept. The advantages of a metal
                hull have been gaining ground in the back of my mind against the
                disadvantage of not being able to weld at present. My idea at the
                moment is to purchase the study plans of "Huckleberry Finn" along
                with the full plans of "Rocking Chair", in the hope that they will
                give an insight to the Atkins approach to construction in metal. I
                have noted that the Atkins (including Pat) place great importance on
                their designs not being changed too much. Fair enough! I guess
                there's always a temptation to tinker, but hopefully compatible and
                restrained tinkering will be OK.
                I imagine that the pleasure of building and owning a recogniseably
                classic boat (even if it's "only" a barge) could well be even
                greater than any pleasure derived from excessivly altering an
                established design to suit personal "preferences".

                AlanTerry
              • lon wells
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
                  If you decide to build in steel boat you would be well advised to hire a old shipfitter to help you. Someone that knows how to use a dog, saddle and wedge. Someone that knows where to use a hot tack. Someone that can show you welding sequence to minimize warpage..

                  These are fast and easy to learn lessons and your boat would be all the better for it. The cost of having an experience worker show you the way would more than be paid back in safety, time and quality of workmanship.

                  I advise you to suit personal preferences. Remember you are building your boat not a monument to a boat designer. The value in the boat is the joy you will have from the building and time spent on the water.
                  I wish you luck on your project

                  Lon

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
                    You could cut the parts for a metal hull and get everything set up, then
                    hire a welder for the assembly. You might still save money over plywood,
                    glass and epoxy. Once the hull was welded up, you could do the cabin and
                    interior in wood.

                    The steel scow in Sucher is only 22' long, and Huckleberry Finn is much
                    larger than Rockin Chair at 50'. The Sucher scantlings are probably closer
                    to what you'd need for Rocking Chair, which isn't really very heavily built.
                    You don't want to make the hull too heavy, or you won't have the capacity
                    for all those luxuries in the living spaces. <g> A little simple geometry
                    can give you an idea of Rocking Chair's designed displacement.

                    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:54:28 -0000, Alan T wrote:
                    > All these points I welcome and accept. The advantages of a metal
                    > hull have been gaining ground in the back of my mind against the
                    > disadvantage of not being able to weld at present. My idea at the
                    > moment is to purchase the study plans of "Huckleberry Finn" along
                    > with the full plans of "Rocking Chair", in the hope that they will
                    > give an insight to the Atkins approach to construction in metal. I
                    > have noted that the Atkins (including Pat) place great importance on
                    > their designs not being changed too much. Fair enough! I guess
                    > there's always a temptation to tinker, but hopefully compatible and
                    > restrained tinkering will be OK.
                    > I imagine that the pleasure of building and owning a recogniseably
                    > classic boat (even if it's "only" a barge) could well be even
                    > greater than any pleasure derived from excessivly altering an
                    > established design to suit personal "preferences".

                    Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
                    bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
                  • Sal's Dad
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2004
                      >You could cut the parts for a metal hull and get everything set up, then
                      >hire a welder for the assembly. You might still save money over plywood,
                      >glass and epoxy. Once the hull was welded up, you could do the cabin >and
                      interior in wood.

                      This would be my preferred approach. A couple years ago I did a trial boat
                      in aluminum plate - a Bolger Teal dory. I cut out the parts with a
                      cordless circular saw (ear protection is a good idea, and wear socks!) and
                      brought the parts to a local welder. We re-assembled it over plywood
                      "frames" and he welded the seams.

                      The boat is heavy (1/8 aluminum weighs about the same as 3/4 ply) ugly (no
                      paint - ever!) and indestructible.

                      Now I'd feel comfortable building a bigger aluminum boat - Rescue Minor sure
                      looks good to me... maybe with freshwater cooling - tubing welded to the
                      INSIDE of the hull, so the whole hull is part of the cooling system . The
                      tubing would double as stiffening for the thin plates, and be connected to
                      the engine by rubber hose.
                    • alan terry
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2004
                        > You could cut the parts for a metal hull and get everything set
                        up, then
                        > hire a welder for the assembly. You might still save money over
                        plywood,
                        > glass and epoxy. Once the hull was welded up, you could do the
                        cabin and
                        > interior in wood.

                        Yes, sounds pretty good to me. From what I've learned in the first
                        few hours of my crash course in aluminum fabrication it's more akin
                        to wood construction than steel. Setup shouldn't be all that
                        difficult. How do you reckon it would work to do the cabin AND the
                        decks all in plywood/timber and use the aluminum for the hull sides
                        and bottom only ?? There's something a bit raw about aluminum decks.
                      • alan terry
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6, 2004
                          wrote:

                          > Harry Sucher's SIMPLIFIED BOATBUILDING/FLAT BOTTOM BOATS gives
                          some advice
                          > on equivalent construction for scow hulls. Try interlibrary loan

                          I did. It's quite interesting, even if rather basic. Following up
                          the talk about metal boats I came across BOATBUILDING WITH ALUMINUM
                          by Stephen F. Pollard at the local library. To my suprise, it's
                          aimed at the backyard builder and is very readable. There were
                          multiple copies on the shelves.

                          alanterry
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
                            Wooden decks on a metal hull has been done many times. You've got to be
                            careful at the joint between the deck and hull to make sure it's watertight.
                            Any joint between metal and wood is going to be a potential rot spot, so
                            take precautions.

                            Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was
                            building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd
                            do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
                            relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

                            On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:32:25 -0000, Alan wrote:
                            > Yes, sounds pretty good to me. From what I've learned in the first
                            > few hours of my crash course in aluminum fabrication it's more akin
                            > to wood construction than steel. Setup shouldn't be all that
                            > difficult. How do you reckon it would work to do the cabin AND the
                            > decks all in plywood/timber and use the aluminum for the hull sides
                            > and bottom only ?? There's something a bit raw about aluminum decks.

                            Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>
                          • lon wells
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
                              jkohnen@... wrote:
                              ...."Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
                              relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator."

                              Greetings

                              Another way would be to do a composite construction with steel frame and wood planking and decks. Legendary Yachts in Washougal Washington makes some very fine Yachts using this construction method.

                              http://www.legendaryyachts.com/composit_construction.htm

                              Lon

                            • alan terry
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 12, 2004

                                I think if I was
                                > building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the
                                water, I'd
                                > do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal,
                                and the
                                > relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

                                Coincidently I have returned to favouring wood construction ---
                                after several days of infatuation with the idea of building in
                                aluminum. I discovered that, broadly speaking, the cost of materials
                                alone are similar for aluminum and for HIGH QUALITY timber plus
                                epoxy glassing.
                                For aluminum I would have to hire skilled labour, but not for
                                timber. And of course, I can make do with less than high quality
                                timber. Taking these factors into account the cost of timber is
                                about one half that of aluminum. More important, using aluminum
                                would have encouraged me to get more fancy and fussy than I want.
                                The original idea was to have a simple boat built to a workboat
                                standard, that could be finished in months, not years.
                                The construction I now have firmly in mind is epoxy glued plank
                                (18mm) on frame covered with a layer of plywood and then epoxy
                                glassed. From the inside the appearance would be like cold moulded
                                plank on frame (better resale value, better looking, etc.), but the
                                outside would have all the benefits of glass sheathing.
                                And I like working with wood best as well :)

                                Alan