Is it Atkin?

  • Ivan Ogburn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
      I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an Atkin
      design?

      Ivan
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
        Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us where
        it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's an
        Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is it V-
        bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
        details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it now?

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...> wrote:

        > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an Atkin
        > design?
        >
        > Ivan

      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
          Just as a first guess it might be Esther though it seems to be
          missing some flare in the topsides forward.

          Mike Dolph

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
          wrote:

          > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
          where
          > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
          an
          > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
          it V-
          > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
          > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
          now?

          > Mike Dolph
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
          wrote:

          > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
          Atkin
          > > design?
          > >
          > > Ivan

        • Ivan Ogburn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
            The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House Cruiser.
            It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.

            Ivan
            wrote:

            > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
            where
            > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
            an
            > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
            it V-
            > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
            > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
            now?

            > Mike Dolph
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
            wrote:

            > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
            Atkin
            > > design?
            > >
            > > Ivan

          • Mike Dolph
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
              It didn't look wide and chunky enough in the picture but I think
              after looking at it you have a "Martha Green", if so it's got a
              chesapeake style deadrise bottom and I think it's considered one of
              the best practical Atkin's designs. All the rest of the looks seem
              to fit Martha Green and you can look at the plan if you follow the
              link at the top of the home page and look her up by name at the
              bottom of the catalog page.

              wrote:

              > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
              Cruiser.
              > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
              >
              > Ivan
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
              > where
              > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe
              it's
              > an
              > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it.
              Is
              > it V-
              > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and
              accomodations
              > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is
              it
              > now?
              > >
              > > Mike Dolph
              > >
              > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
              > Atkin
              > > > design?
              > > >
              > > > Ivan

            • baycruiser54
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...> wrote:

                > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House Cruiser.
                > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
                >
                > Ivan
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell us
                > where
                > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe it's
                > an
                > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it. Is
                > it V-
                > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and accomodations
                > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is it
                > now?
                > >
                > > Mike Dolph
                > >
                > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I just posted a single photo - Can someone tell me if this an
                > Atkin
                > > > design?
                > > >
                > > > Ivan

                If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend (I'm
                in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I think
                it's a Martha Green, too.

                Steve Schaffer
              • Ivan Ogburn
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006
                  It was in some marina there - not sure where.

                  Ivan
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
                  <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:

                  > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
                  Cruiser.
                  > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
                  > >
                  > > Ivan
                  > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Assuming your photo is number 17 in the "photos" can you tell
                  us
                  > > where
                  > > > it is pictured and more about it? What leads you to believe
                  it's
                  > > an
                  > > > Atkin design? Any details might help Mrs. Atkin to place it.
                  Is
                  > > it V-
                  > > > bottom, round hulled, what kind of frames, cabin and
                  accomodations
                  > > > details? I can see it's got a Texas number, where in Texas is
                  it
                  > > now?
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike Dolph
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
                  <aogburn1@h...>

                  > > Atkin

                  > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this weekend
                  (I'm
                  > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
                  think
                  > it's a Martha Green, too.
                  >
                  > Steve Schaffer

                • Mike Dolph
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
                    When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
                    it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
                    the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
                    drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                    empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)

                    wrote:

                    > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
                    >
                    > Ivan
                    > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
                    > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The owner describes it as a 1963 24 foot Atkin Pilot House
                    > Cruiser.
                    > > > It is in Port Isabel, TX. That is all I know.
                    > > >
                    > > > Ivan
                    > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph"
                    <jdewolfe@a...>

                    > us
                    > > > where
                    > it's
                    > > > an
                    > Is
                    > > > it V-
                    > accomodations
                    > it
                    > > > now?

                    > <aogburn1@h...>

                    > an
                    > > > Atkin

                    > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
                    weekend
                    > (I'm
                    > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
                    > think
                    > > it's a Martha Green, too.
                    > >
                    > > Steve Schaffer

                  • Ivan Ogburn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
                      It was Anchor Marina and the old web link is:
                      http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats_detail.cfm?
                      BoatID=14466&CUSTOM&Pilot%20House%20Cruiser
                      The boat sold before I could get to her, but I have fallen in love!
                      Is there some place to purchase these old beauties?
                      How difficult was it to make these?
                      This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                      I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                      vessels.

                      Ivan
                      Seabrook, TX
                      wrote:

                      > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
                      and
                      > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
                      > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
                      main
                      > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                      > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                      >
                      > Mike Dolph
                      >
                      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn" <aogburn1@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It was in some marina there - not sure where.
                      > >
                      > > Ivan
                      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54"
                      > > <baycruiser54@h...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Ogburn"
                      <aogburn1@h...>

                      > > Cruiser.

                      > <jdewolfe@a...>

                      > tell
                      > > us
                      > > it's
                      > it.
                      > > Is
                      > > accomodations
                      Texas
                      > is
                      > > it

                      > > <aogburn1@h...>

                      > > an

                      > > > If it's in Port Isabel, I can probably photograph it this
                      > weekend
                      > > (I'm
                      > > > in McAllen) any idea where in Port Isabel it's located? BTW, I
                      > > think
                      > > > it's a Martha Green, too.
                      > > >
                      > > > Steve Schaffer

                    • Ivan Ogburn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
                        Mike - Did you ever find the boat?

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

                        > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town and
                        > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets before
                        > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the main
                        > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                        > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                        >
                        > Mike Dolph

                      • Mike Dolph
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
                          Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                          in Austin now.

                          wrote:

                          > Mike - Did you ever find the boat?
                          >
                          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...>
                          wrote:

                          > > When I was in Port Isabel there was only one travel lift in town
                          and
                          > > it was in a yard you reached by turning left a few streets
                          before
                          > > the lighthouse if you were traveling towards the island on the
                          main
                          > > drag. That seems to be it in the picture but it seems awfully
                          > > empty. I think the name might have been B&H Marine, or not:-)
                          > >
                          > > Mike Dolph

                        • baycruiser54
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

                            > Actually it was Baycruiser who was going to look for it; I'm living
                            > in Austin now.
                            >
                            > Mike Dolph

                            Didn't get down there after all, but I e-mailed the guy that runs the
                            place (Anchor Marina)and described it to him - I got the notion
                            somehow that it was no longer there ('tho I can't find that post
                            anymore); hopefully, he'll be able to help us out, and we can at least
                            find out where it is, who it's with (maybe they'd like to join the
                            group)and maybe get some pix. I'll keep the group posted.

                            Steve Schaffer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                              Martha Green is of pretty simple construction. She's built in the
                              old-fashioned Chesapeake cross-planked style. Get your hands on Howard
                              Chapelle's book Boatbuilding (still in print) for a good introduction to
                              building boats the old-fashioned way. If you can find a copy, Harry
                              Sucher's Simplified Boatbuilding: the V-Bottom Boat has lots of info on
                              building skipjacks. But building a Martha Green is a big project, so you'd
                              be wise to start with something small to learn if you like building boats.

                              On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:52 -0800, Ivan wrote:

                              > How difficult was it to make these?
                              > This is the classic '50s look I have been searching for!
                              > I am a newbie but I want to learn all I can about this design of
                              > vessels.

                              I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                              couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>